Chapter 14

Chapter 14:

Look of surprise greeted me when I reached the mansion.

Murmurs of disbelief filled the backyard. Questioning how come I ran so fast in my human form. I barely break a sweat, and yet, my time record is faster than most of them run in wolf form.

Beatrice tossed me a bottle of water.

'Great job!' she said through our pack link.

I winked at her before taking a big gulp from the bottle.

Michael showed up not long after. He looked annoyed, but I ignored it. It is not in the job description to shoot a wounded pride the loser.

"I believe the 'friendly' competition just now makes a point. From our observation, this pack doesn't set a certain standard to follow when training. You guys just 'train' without a clear direction," Rick explained.

"What's the point in that? As long as we train everyday," Michael protested.

I shook my head, "You need to set a goal. It will help a lot to keep you on track and monitor your improvement. Motivation will appear when you realize you're making progress."

"Anyone here keep track of their running time? How long did you last in combat? Did you do better today than last week?" I continued, looking at them coldly before it ended at Michael.

"..."

No one makes a sound until Connor clears his throat.

"Please continue," he looked at Rick.

"Break into groups, we'll start warming up," Rick said.

Groans left the lips of the females. As mentioned before, training here isn't taken seriously. Normally, many of the she-wolf doesn't even bother to come.

They split into four different groups. Naturally gather with people they normally train with.

Considering my last incident with Rebecca, everyone deliberately assigned me to another group.

I ended up monitoring the young wolves.

They all looked a bit stiff. Probably due to how I act so far.

I sigh. Thinking of a way to break the ice. As you can guess, I'm not good with children.

"Do you know uncle Damion?" a little boy - probably 7 years old, asked me.

My eyes widened in surprise.

"I think I saw you before. You look familiar," he continued, his brown eyes carefully assess my face.

He probably was a baby when I left the pack. There's no way he could remember me.

"Sorry kiddo, but this is the first time we met," I smile.

The boy shook his head, unwavered by my words. "No, I'm sure... Ah! I know! You're the girl in the picture!" he screamed excitedly.

"Picture?"

"Yes! In uncle's Damion room! There's a picture of him and a girl, she looks just like you!"

"..."

I was left speechless by his explanation.

"He said the girl is a very important person to him! Are you his best friend?" He asked again, never realizing how tongue-tied I am.

I slowly nod my head.

He frowns, as if he doesn't understand something. "Then why did you only come now?" he asked.

My heart throbs painfully.

"I..."

"You should have come earlier! Mom said uncle Damion went to a very far place!" he said with a loud voice. Then he tugged my hand.

I bend down to hear his whisper.

"I think he went to save the other kids!"

"What..?"

"He's my hero! Uncle Damion saved me and the other kids when scary wolves attacked us!"

Only then I realized. These are the kids he protected during the rogue attack.