Chapter 10. Always Right

It had been several weeks since I started my training. Everything between Angel and I was going smoothly. I agreed to do the training, mostly to ease his mind.

Of course, I knew it would be safer for me as well. Aria was teaching me when Angel didn't have time. According to Aria, my training was almost complete. She said as long as I did well with the rest, it would be over in a week.

Even though I was happy that it was almost over, I was beginning to wonder what I would do with myself afterward. College seemed like the right thing to do.

It would take a few years, but I was set on becoming a lawyer. I would love to help people, but I also knew lawyers often made good money. It was something my dad wanted me to do. However, how could I be a lawyer when I was with a criminal?

Angel had also taught me how to do his paperwork and how everything was done. It seemed like he was always trying to keep me busy, but I didn't know why.

I threw the door open to the study. Angel wasn't in here, but the phone was ringing. I raced over to the phone to get to it on time.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Is Angel around?"

"He's out at the moment. Can I help you?"

"Who am I speaking with?" The deep voice asked curiously.

"Mia," I said. Would he know who I was? I spoke to a few of the men that Angel dealt guns to.

"Ah, yes, Mia," he said. "My name is Hector. I do believe I had a shipment to pick up tonight. Tell Angel something has come up, and we will have to set it at a later date."

"Yes, of course. I'll let him know when he gets back," I said politely.

"Thank you, sweetheart," he said, and the line went dead.

I lowered the phone back onto the receiver. I had spoken to Hector before. There were many cartels, mafias, and street gangs that Angel dealt with. The guns brought him a lot of money.

"Hey, mami," Angel's voice came from behind me.

I spun around in surprise. "Oh, hey. Hey, what the hell happened to you?" I asked as I quickly ran to him.

He watched me as I raised up his shirt. There was blood all over his abdomen. "I had a problem with the Mexican Mafia," he said. "They were trying to steal the guns that were meant for 18th street gang. Stitch me?"

"Sure," I sighed. I grabbed Angel's hand and pulled him from the study. With as much as I have to stitch Angel, I should just take medical school.

When we got upstairs to our room, we went to the bathroom. I grabbed the first aid kit and pulled out the things I needed to stitch him up.

"Why are they always after you?" I asked.

"They're called rivals for a reason, mami," he said. "My parents fought with them for years, and my grandparents before them."

"Oh, by the way, Hector called. He can't do the pickup tonight. Something came up. He said to have you call and set up a different time," I told him.

He sighed, "Okay."

When I was finished stitching him up, I cleaned the blood off of him. I put things away while he took off his shirt and threw it in the garbage.

"You know, I've been thinking," I started.

"Oh? About what?"

"I think I'm going to go back to school."