Chapter 12. Bad Things

After I was raided and kicked in the face, I was pulled from my house. I was in the police station in a separate interrogation room than my parents. They could do that to me now because I was eighteen.

The door swung open. Ademar and Mia walked into the room. Mia looked at me worriedly, but there was a suspicion in her eyes.

I kept my poker face in place. "Wow, you weren't kidding," I smirked. "You really raised hell. Tell me, did you find what you were looking for?" I already knew the answer. Arrogance colored my tone. "What do you think of our blueprints for the new hotel?" I teased. "Pretty fucking snazzy if I do say so myself."

He crossed his arms over his chest. There was a strong anger and hatred in his eyes. "Give it a rest, Angel. Your parents confessed. You're all part of the Latin Kings."

I threw my head back and laughed. I bowed my head and shook it as I shook with laughter. My gaze met his again, and my expression became surprised.

"Come on, Ademar. Do you take me for a fool? You can't honestly believe that I'm that Naïve?" I paused. My gaze met Mia's, and she was staring at me, confused. "How could my parents admit such a thing, when they're not associated with such a thing?" I denied.

"You're lying," he said sternly. "You little bastard."

"And you sound like you need another fucking doughnut!" I chuckled. "I think all that sugar is going to your brain."

Mia's eyes widened in shock. I imagined she hadn't heard anyone speak to her father that way.

"What's wrong, mami?" I purred at Mia. I stared googly-eyed at her just for her father's benefit. "Didn't you know? Your dad and I are getting to know each other well. This is how we bond."

"I found the guns, Angel," he said. He slammed his hands down on the table across from me.

My gaze locked with his, and my face was full of false shock and nervousness. "Really?" I breathed.

Mia's jaw dropped. I realized that Ademar told Mia he was going to get me to confess to being part of the Latin King's. She thought I was about to admit it.

Ademar thought I was about to admit it. Ademar's eyes filled with hope.

"You mean the ones my parents have permits for?" I chuckled and batted my eyelashes at him. I watched as the hope in his eyes faded. "You know what I think? I think you're just pissed off because I'm dating your daughter. Or maybe it is because my parents are richer than you," I teased. "Clearly, you don't scare me. Why don't you just give it a rest? You won't ever find anything because there is nothing to find!"

"You little asshole!" He sneered.

"Dad, this is ridiculous! I'm leaving!" Mia shrieked. Mia now didn't believe anything her father had told her. She could see I wasn't budging.

"Mia!" He boomed. Ademar grabbed Mia's arm and spun her around to face him. "You are not to hang out with this boy!" He stared at her as he spoke but jabbed a finger in my direction.

"Do you understand me? He denies it because he was trained to do so by his parents. I know who they are. They have killed people. You're not safe around them. People they associate with turn up dead every single day. They sell drugs and illegal weapons. The other businesses are just legitimate money for them to hide behind!" Ademar shouted.

"Damn, Ademar. When is the last time you had your blood pressure taken? Your face is red. Is that smoke coming out of your ears?" I asked. I threw my head back and laughed.