Chapter 4. Lots Of Guns

It was about three weeks since the beach party. I tried hard to stay busy so that I would stay away from Mia. However, it seemed to be getting harder with each passing day. I so badly wanted to see her.

Dad walked into the study, where I was sprawled out on the couch reading. "Your mom went into labor," Dad said. "Keep an eye on the other kids."

Well, at least I have something to distract me now. "Alright, good luck," I said.

Mom was now about thirty-eight weeks pregnant. If she hadn't gone into labor on her own, they would have induced her tomorrow. The twins were a boy and a girl. She had names picked out, Andrea and Andrew.

At least we will be able to tell these ones apart a little easier–I thought to myself. I reopened the book I was reading.

Jesse came into the study and sat down in a matching chair beside the couch. "I'm assuming you're on babysitting duty?" Jesse asked.

"You assumed correctly," I sighed and sat up. "Why?"

"There is a party tonight," he said.

"I'm partied out," I murmured as I tossed the book onto the floor.

Jesse stared back at me knowingly. "You mean you're Mia'd out," he said. "Don't sweat it, man. I guess she has a boyfriend now."

"Who?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Why does it matter?" Jesse teased. "You're not interested, remember?"

"It doesn't matter," I muttered and stood up. I turned and headed for the door.

Jesse made no attempt to move. "Ricky," Jesse said.

I stumbled as I gripped the doorknob. I snorted and rolled my eyes, but I didn't turn to face Jesse. I didn't want Jesse to know how bad it bothered me. I threw the door open and walked out.

My stomach twisted at the thought of her being with Ricky. Ricky was a complete asshole. Being with him was only going to get her hurt. It's not your business–I reminded myself.

***

It was getting late. I decided to see if grandpa and grandma were okay with watching the kids. They were back from the business trip they had been on. Something about Mia and Ricky was rubbing me the wrong way. I needed to get out of the house to clear my head.

"Papa?" I called knocking on his bedroom door.

He opened the door and rubbed his eyes tiredly. "What?"

"Mind putting the kids to bed? I need to go out for a bit. They already ate," I told him.

"No problem," he yawned and followed me from his room. He headed for the living room where the younger two kids were.

Instead of taking one of my cars, I settled for taking my motorcycle. It roared to life, and I pulled it out of the garage.

The wind whipped through my hair as I sped up the windy driveway.

My mom always scolded me about wearing a helmet, but I tended to ignore her.

As I rode around town, all I could think about was Ricky and Mia. Why I liked this girl so much was beyond me. It was infuriating me. No girl had this kind of influence over me.

Even though it was getting late, the city was still busy. I weaved in and out of traffic. I was going faster than I should have been. My mind was so clouded I grew careless about the road in front of me. Some car honked at me for cutting it off, but I didn't care.