Chapter 16. It Can Wait

Graduation passed, and I hadn't seen Mia much. Jesse and I were busy preparing for the party. Jesse found out that I wanted him as my right hand, and he accepted. My parents were moving out completely the day after the party.

Andersen informed me that he wasn't ready to retire either. The man had enough money to retire since before my mom took the chair. I imagined he just enjoyed working and would be bored if he retired.

Mom came into the foyer that we were setting up. "I think I found the perfect dress for Mia," Mom said as she approached me.

"Cool, let me see it," I said.

"Hell no," Mom sneered.

"W-what? I paid for it!" I argued.

"You will see it tonight with her in it," Mom said and laughed. Mom started to head for the living room with the dress.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"To take this to Mia," Mom said.

"Her parents..." I trailed off.

"I'll make sure they're not there." Mom rolled her eyes.

"Hold on, I want you to take her something else," I said.

"Hurry up," Mom said. She sighed and shifted her wait, crossing her arms over her chest.

I dashed upstairs to my bedroom. I grabbed the things I had set aside for Mia and headed back downstairs.

Mom was waiting for me. She outstretched her hand to take the items from me. Mom strolled out of the foyer toward the garage.

"Where did Jesse go?" I asked Dad.

"He went off to help Adelina in the kitchen," Dad said.

My lips pursed, and I knitted my eyebrows together—a frown embedded in my face.

"What?" Dad asked, confused by my expression.

"Doesn't it seem like Adelina and Jesse have been talking more?"

"Well, I suppose, but they do have a lot in common. Also, Jesse has been your best friend for a long time. Jesse was more here than he was at Valerie's," Dad said. "Maybe they just found common ground."

"Maybe it is more than common ground," I suggested.

Dad pursed his lips. "You think something is going on?"

"I'm not sure if Jesse feels that way, but I think Adelina does," I admitted.

"How long have you known that?" Dad asked, confused.

"A while. I just ignored it, I guess."

"So if there was something going on with them. What are you going to do?" Dad asked.

The way Dad worded it was as if I could tell them they can't see each other. It isn't that simple, though. Adelina probably liked Jesse before I was even aware of it. Adelina and Arianna have both had boyfriends, which I hated all of them. My sisters were sixteen and should be free to date who they want without me freaking out. Maybe the reason I freaked out over their other relationships was that I knew the guys were douchebags.

"What can I do, Dad? The girls are getting older. I can't tell them who they can and can't date. I don't know, it would be weird, but I think I'd rather see Adelina with Jesse than anyone else."

"Why?" Dad asked.

I snorted. "What do you mean why? Jesse is my best friend, and he was good to Emily. He didn't deserve to get dumped the way he did. Jesse would never hurt Adelina because he knows I would kill him," I said hurriedly.