Chapter 5. Safer With Witnesses

Someone shoulder checked me as Jesse, and I walked out of the gas station. I turned to see Ricky Rivera.

"Got a problem, Garcia?" Ricky spat.

"Not at all, but I'm guessing you do." And I know why–a smirk played on my lips. "You really enjoy my sloppy seconds, don't you?" I held the sandwich up that I just bought. "Want to share my sandwich too?"

"Oh, damn," Jesse laughed.

Ricky scoffed and rolled his eyes. "If you're talking about Mia, we both know that is bullshit. She'd never go for a loser like you."

An innocent smile played on my lips. "Are you sure? See, I'm pretty sure the reason Mia agreed to date you was because I wasn't trying to get with her. If I wanted her, I could have had her, and you know it. That pisses you off, doesn't it?" I challenged.

"Even after Beth slept with me then slept with you, she tried crawling back to me. Is your dick that small? It didn't impress Beth, so I imagine it won't impress Mia either. As a matter of fact, before you, two were even a thing..." I trailed off. Lord knows that I shouldn't say it, but I'm going to because I would love nothing more than to piss him off. "I already had Mia in my bed once. Who is to say I couldn't again?"

His fist balled up, and he swung at me.

I dodged it smoothly. My fist balled up, and I punched him in the stomach.

He instantly collapsed to the ground and groaned in pain. He looked up at me, angrily, as he clutched his stomach.

"You mad, bro? Come on, Ricky, being second choice isn't that bad," I paused. "Your, uh, daddy, better start teaching you some better moves." I shrugged with pursed lips. "What is that the tenth time you have attempted to hit me? You can't even touch me." I chuckled.

Jesse laughed and high-fived me. We strolled away from Ricky, still laughing as we climbed into the Corvette.

My parents were going to be gone for the weekend. My grandparents were gone too. Mom and Dad were taking all the kids to Hawaii.

A month had gone by since I saw Mia last. I avoided her any way that I could, but it wasn't without some serious effort on my part. I wanted to see her. I missed her so badly.

Naturally, since nobody would be home for the entire weekend, Jesse and I were throwing a party. I turned eighteen a few days ago and hadn't celebrated it yet. Mom wanted me to finish my senior year before she gave me the chair. School wasn't going to start back up for another couple of months. Jesse was turning eighteen next week.

"What the fuck was that about, anyway?" Jesse asked.

"You got me," I shrugged.

"Have you been seeing Mia?"

"No," I denied quickly, too quickly.

Jesse gave me a disbelieving look. Jesse knew me too well. It was impossible to lie to him.

"Well, I gave her a ride home one night, but that was a month ago. I haven't seen or spoken to her since." Part of me wanted to be friends with Mia, but the other part of me knew that wouldn't work. How could I be friends with a girl I was going crazy over?

We pulled into the garage and strolled into the house. Everyone was gone. We started rearranging the foyer. I didn't want anything to get broken. My parents would notice, and they would kill us.