Chapter 18. Too Late

"Angel? Say something. You're freaking me out," Mia said. Mia's eyes pleaded with mine. She stared at the glass of Bourbon that I was handing her. "I don't think I want that," she murmured.

"Trust me, we're both going to need it," I said softly.

She took it from me slowly. She raised the glass to her lips and took a sip. She lowered the glass and waited for me to speak.

"I should have told you this a long time ago, and I'm sorry I didn't. I was scared of losing you, and I wanted to be sure that I could trust you," I started. My heart felt like it was about to break free from my rib cage.

"Okay..." she trailed off. "What?"

"Remember when you asked me if there was any truth to what your father accused me of?" I asked.

Her hands trembled. She started to slam the Bourbon that was in her glass. She sat silent for a long moment. "Yes, and you said no."

My lips pursed, and I shook my head. I turned away from her and slammed the remainder of the alcohol in my glass. I sat the glass down before I turned around to face her.

"I lied," I said softly.

Mia stared at me with a blank expression. She blinked several times. Her chest started to rise and fall rapidly. She cleared her throat. "What?"

"I lied to you. I am exactly what your father accused me of. There has been speculation for hundreds of years of what we are. Every generation has gotten away with it. It gets harder with how good forensics got, but we're smart. We live by one real big rule, that is brains. We're not stupid. I'm not just running legitimate businesses. I'm the leader of the Latin Kings," I said. My chin raised just a fraction.

To my surprise, Mia laughed. "What? No. No..." Mia trailed off and laughed again. She rose to her feet and stepped toward me. As soon as she was right in front of me, she spoke. "Tell me you're kidding," she murmured and stared into my eyes.

"The Mexican Mafia is our number one enemy; it's been that way for generations, long before my time. Ricky's father is the leader, Kal Rivera. Ricky will take that over one day, too," I said. "I think they took your parents because of me, but I'm not sure. Your father was friends with Kal, and maybe Ademar fucked Kal over. I'm not sure," I admitted. "I was planning to tell you tonight. That is why I asked you to come over."

Mia balled her fists up and slammed both of her fists into my chest. "You son of a bitch!" She shrieked. "You lied to me! You're going to get my parents killed! You tricked me!"

"Mia stop," I murmured as she shoved me away from her.

She came at me with her fist balled up. She aimed to punch me between the legs, but I caught her fist and pulled her into me. She balled up the other fist and swung at my nose.

I dodged her fist, and it collided with the bookshelf behind me. I grabbed her hand, and she screamed in pain. Her scream took me by such surprise I dropped both her hands. She clutched the hand that collided with the wooden bookshelf.

Mia came at me again.

This time I grabbed both of her arms, spun her around, and restrained her. "Stop it, Mia! Attacking me won't change anything! I need you to keep it together so we can find your parents. I promise after we do, I will leave you alone."

"I hate you," she sobbed.

"Mia, I'm sorry," I said as I felt my heart shatter.

The doors swung open. Mia and I watched as my parents and many others filed into the study.