Chapter 15. Mess

When I made it home, I noticed there were a bunch of vehicles in my driveway, and some parked in the grass. Jesse and I shared a look of confusion.

"What the fuck is going on?" I wondered.

"Is it somebody's birthday?" Jesse asked.

"Not to my knowledge," I muttered.

We parked the Corvette in the garage and headed into the mansion. The living room was vacant, and so was the foyer. I threw open the large wooden double doors that led to the dining room.

Everyone and I do mean everyone was here. I've met all of the current members of the Latin Kings. We are, after all, like one big family. What surprised me was that even the wives were here. The wives don't normally attend Latin King meetings.

"Holy shit," I muttered. "A family reunion. Who died?"

Everyone turned to look at me. They all seemed surprised to see me as if I didn't live here or wasn't invited. Nobody spoke. You could have heard a pin drop.

Jesse peeked around me. "Damn," he grunted.

"Yes, 'Tis I," I said as I placed a hand to my chest in a dramatic way. "The boy who lives upstairs. Heir to the throne," I said in the most proper way I could manage as I bowed. It came out sounding practically British. "What the fuck is happening?" I asked more seriously this time.

"Jesse and Angel, have a seat," Mom said.

Andersen moved away from the wall, placing two extra chairs at the table beside my parents.

Jesse and I shared a confused glance once again but did as we were told.

"We all know why we are here today apart from the two of you," Mom said as she looked at Jesse and me. "We're thinking about creating a new council that would consist of most of us. Your father and I just feel like you could use the help. Of course, if you take it over and give it a chance and decide it isn't what you want, you can end it. I really think this is the best thing for you," Mom said softly.

"You don't think I can do it?" I asked in irritation.

"That's not what we are saying, Angel," Dad answered. "We just thought it would make things easier for you, at least, until you get adjusted. Your mother had all of us, that is what got her through," Dad said.

"The council has a strong influence, but no power, Angel," Mom said. "It's there to help you deal with paperwork, the IRS, money, sales, and contacts. We just want to help."

"Um, sure, whatever," I said and shrugged. What could I really say? They were only trying to help me. "This is all good, but um I'd really like to speak with you and Dad alone," I said to Mom.

Now it was my parents sharing a confused expression.

Everyone started to leave. Mom, Dad, and I headed for the study. I led the way in and sat down on the couch. My parents stood across from me.

"It's two weeks to graduation, and I just feel like there is something you two should know," I started.

"Okay?" Mom asked, confused.

"I want Jesse as my right hand," I said.

Dad raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Angel, we talked about this. It is supposed to follow the bloodline. You said you would pick a Garcia."