chapter thirteen

They'd end up spending more time with each other anyways, no matter where they were. They wanted to feel like they didn't , they wanted to be oblivious. But they'd laugh like kids in the back of rooms and in office lounges, it was a distraction, yet they didn't care. 

"Do you want to go get lunch?" Katsuki asked Izuku, before he could walk out of a meeting they were in. "What do you think?" He smiled, Katsuki feeling a rush of happiness. They were close again, friends again. 

He stopped in the hallway, Izuku stopping as well. His phone was ringing, and he snapped back to reality, his happiness interrupted. It was Eijirou calling, Katsuki picked up in a rush. "Hey, Eijirou. Are you okay?" His voice went quiet. "Of course I am. I'm just checking up on you.." Izuku stood still, awkwardly, he couldn't hear anything, but he felt strange, after hearing who it was. 

"Why? What's up?" "Well, you haven't called me in a little while, just wondering what you're doing." Katsuki bit his bottom lip, eyebrows furrowing, "Sorry. Just been busy." 

He tapped his foot, looking at Izuku. He was looking around the room silently, "Start the car." Katsuki pulled his keys from his pocket, handing them to Izuku, he nodded. "You're carpooling with somebody?" "A coworker, you haven't met.. her, before." he rolled his eyes around the room. Katsuki took a deep breath, "Look, darling, I know that you're worried." Izuku could still hear him, he was walking slowly. He heard the lie, and he was starting to feel uncomfortable. 

"You don't trust me, I understand. But if you know me.." "Yeah?" "I wouldn't.. I wouldn't betray you." His voice sounded more like he was questioning that. Eijirou was silent, only for a second. "I know." 

"I have to go, I love you." He hung up before Eijirou could say anything, as he ran down the hallway. 

Once he was out of the building he walked towards the car Izuku was waiting in. His face looked strange, his expression. 

"You okay?" He opened the door, sitting in the driver's seat. "I'm okay." 

Izuku didn't bring up what he heard , he didn't want to. The tension was killing him, but he didn't want to ruin what they had now. 

They ate lunch together, no words, and drove back to the hotel, with only music. Katsuki could feel it, the tension. "Are you sure you're okay?" He said on the way back, "Of course I am." Izuku whispered, crossing his arms. 

"I.." He didn't know what to say, he didn't know how he felt. His relationship was hardly being held together, and he knew that he was fighting something. They both were. 

"Don't lie to your husband." Izuku finally said, Katsuki flinching, "What?" "I heard what you said." He stared out the window. "Don't do that to him." "So what do you want me to say?" "I don't know." "Well I can't tell him it's you." He tapped his fingers on the wheel, biting his tongue. "Why not?" "Because he doesn't like you." "Because you're breaking rules." 

"Why are you being like this?" "Like what? How am I being?" He uncrossed his arms, leaning forwards to see his face. "You're acting weird." Izuku felt offended, shocked. He tried to find words to say. "I'm not acting weird. I'm pointing out the obvious." "The obvious?" Katsuki growled in response, "You're breaking rules for me. Important rules. I don't want him to hate me." he said with a stressed tone. 

"I'm sorry, okay! I'm trying not to.." he pulled into the parking lot of their hotel. He parked, taking off his seatbelt. "You make everybody hate me, even when we were kids.." Izuku leaned back in his seat. 

"I don't want that as much as you do. But I can't control how he feels." 

"Yes you can. We talked about how, a lot." 

Katsuki's lip quivered, he felt himself getting angrier. "I can't control.." Izuku's face was filled with anticipation, "I can't control how I.. how I feel." He sat back down, "What?" his face was starting to redden, his voice quiet. His pulse quickened and he nervously bounced his leg.

"Are you a kid? You're married!" Izuku opened his door, stepping out of the car. Katsuki looked at him with the same nervous and surprised look he had the entire car ride. Izuku was too upset to feel remorse. "And I'm not a homewrecker!" He slammed it, stomping off back to his room, feeling strange, disgusted, maybe. Definitely angry, the anger overpowered the confusion. 

He didn't want to ruin something that wasn't his, it wasn't his right. They were happy together, and he couldn't ruin that. They were fine without him. 

Izuku unlocked his room, shutting the door behind him and lying in his bed. He just wished that it was a normal trip, and that what he just heard wouldn't change anything. It was bound to, but he hardly knew that.