40

Venus had not stopped staring at the body on the floor. She had seen dead bodies multiple times, but as she looked down at it, it was as if it were the first one she had ever seen. She couldn't process what had just happened. A small puddle of blood had now formed not so far away from where she was standing.

"Venus." Xena had finally spoken.

Venus tore her eyes away from the body. Looking up at Xena, she knew her face was a display of utter shock.

"It's okay," Xena said soothingly as she noticed the expression spread across the smaller woman's face. "It's okay."

Venus shook her head. Her eyes began to prick. "No Xena, it's not okay. You're going to get in so much trouble."

"It's okay."

"Why do you kill him?" Venus asked, unable to understand anything that had occurred. "Why did you kill him?"

"He was going to kill you if I didn't." Xena said her voice was self-assured. "I don't regret it for a second."

Venus was still shaking her head desperately, tears were now rolling down her face. "I'd take the blame. When the police arrive, we'd tell them I killed him. It makes no difference since I'm already about to be charged with multiple killings, I'd-"

"No." Xena said aggressively, "that's not what's going to happen."

Venus was an absolute mess. Nothing that had happened was making sense anymore. Xena crossed the small distance between them, taking hold of Venus in her arms as she cried. "Does this make you think of me any differently?"

"Of course not." Venus replied in between tears. "I have no right."

"Do you love me any differently?"

"No, I don't Xena, I can't stop loving you. But right now, I'm scared for you. You're going to get in so much trouble."

Xena shook her head. "No, I'm not. Neither of us are going to."

Venus looked up at the taller woman. Surely she had gone mad.

"Listen to me Venus, we're going to run away."

Venus' eyes widened. She wondered if she had heard Xena correctly. "We can't, we have both Richard Mascetti and law enforcement after us, there's nowhere we can hide."

"We can if we get far enough."

"It's not going to work." Venus cried out, looking once again at the body on her apartment floor. "We're going to get caught."

"We need to at least try." Xena now said, gripping unto Venus tightly. "I cannot bear to have you taken away from me, if we're arrested we'd be separated. This is the only way we can be together."

Venus seemed to calm down as she thought over what Xena had just said. She silently nodded her head, a determination taking over her features. She was going to fight, going to do all that she could to remain with Xena. She didn't care about the circumstances, as long as she was with Xena, nothing else mattered.

Xena nodded. "Quick, go pack up some stuff. Only essentials: clothes, bring some money. I've already made some of the preparations."

Venus nodded curtly and ran into her room to start packing. Xena stood there for a moment breathing heavily, she looked at Agent Daniels lifeless body spread across the ground. His eyes had rolled back and his mouth was parted slightly. She didn't feel sorry, not in the slightest.

There was one more thing that Xena had to do. Reaching into her pocket she retrieved her cellphone.

"Xena?"

It was her mom's voice. Xena felt a brief nervousness pass over her.

"Mom," her voice sounded distant even to her, "you're not going to hear from me for a while, but I don't want you to worry, I'm doing okay."

There was a pause on the line.

"Xena, what do you mean? I barely even hear from you now as it is."

Xena felt a pang pass through her. She wished she called her mom more. But she usually didn't because she knew how her mom disapproved of her job. She told her that it was too dangerous and it always took her so far away from her. She was right.

"Xena, please, what's going on?" Her mom's voice was filled with pleading.

"I can't tell you." Xena voiced. "I'm sure that you'd find out soon enough. But I just want you to know that I'm fine wherever I am."

There was a moment of silence. Xena imagined her mom seated in the kitchen in her childhood home as she talked to her.

Her mom didn't question any further. The line was still for some time.

"Mom, I've got to go." Xena murmured, breaking the silence.

"I love you."

From her voice alone, Xena could tell that she was crying. A lump formed in Xena's throat and she felt her eyes water slightly. "I love you too mom."

Xena hung up then by smashing the phone against the floor, watching as it broke into several little pieces.

At that moment, Venus came out of her room. She had a backpack slung over her shoulder. A warm feeling crossed over Xena. She was nervous, possibly scared out of her mind, but she had everything that she needed right in front of her.

For a brief moment, her mind wandered over to Agent Fox. He was going to be disappointed in her, but that didn't matter. Agent Fox's validation was not something that mattered anymore to Xena.

"You ready?" Xena asked as Venus came to a stop in front of her.

Venus didn't waste time in her reply. It came out of her strong, self-assured: "I'm ready."