33

This was it.

Venus had arrived at The Boss' mansion to turn herself in. Now that she was no longer drunk, she was feeling terrified. Venus knew that she was about to face the ultimate wrath of The Boss; which no doubt, would end in her death. But Venus knew that this was what she had to do. It was the only thing she could do. Better she confessed her sins before he found out by himself. Hopefully, he wouldn't torture her as long.

Venus had tried desperately to forget the events of the past few days. She had drunk herself to a stupor multiple times. Yet, no matter what she did, no matter how hard she tried. The events of that evening still stayed clear in her mind. It was still all that she thought about.

The pain was all that she felt.

Venus had a headache. It was a constant pounding in her head, due to drinking continuously for the last few days and now was now severely hungover.

Venus sucked in a sharp breath as she entered The Boss' main room. She quickly looked over the room, taking in the familiar details; after all, it would be her last time seeing it. She stared at the red carpeting, knowing that today it was going to be her blood that would be the one to fall there. As common practice, the room was filled with Assassins. Venus suddenly felt very small.

"V," The Boss said the moment she appeared before him, "you're just the person I was about to call for."

A pang shot through V and her heart race quickened. Why was The Boss about to call for her? Did he know already?

Venus looked up at his face, trying to catch any hint. But he kept it set in its usual hard, serious expression. His dark eyes seemed to bore into Venus'.

"To what do I owe this visit? You haven't come looking for another job, have you?"

Venus shook her head before turning her head up slowly to look at The Boss.

He was dressed in the usual robes and heavy jewelry, in his hand was a glass of wine which he took occasional sips from, his eyes never leaving Venus. All of a sudden, Venus was aware of all the eyes in the room that were boring into her, she was aware of all the other Assassins that were about to judge her once they heard what she said.

For a second, Venus wondered if this was a mistake. She didn't want to be tortured, she didn't want to have all the other Assassins watch her downfall. She had once felt powerful amongst them. Even though she didn't feel that way anymore, Venus still wanted to go out with that memory. That memory of what life was like before she became aware, before she learnt how to feel.

Then an image of Xena flashed through her mind and everything she had been thinking disappeared.

"Boss," Venus began, "I'm here to turn myself in."

Venus heard the gasps all around the room. She had expected it, but she didn't look up. She kept her eyes glued to the ground, scared of what she might see before her, scared of what she would see in The Boss' face.

"The Doctor that you sent me to kill, I didn't kill her."

There was the sound of glass dropping against the floor, which caused Venus to look up suddenly. The Boss had dropped the glass in his hands, wine was spilled all around, but he didn't care. The only thing he was focused on was Venus. He had gotten up abruptly and was now looking at her, eyes flashing.

"What did you just say?"

It was then that Venus visibly began shaking. Her knees were knocking against each other and she suddenly felt cold. She knew she looked just as pathetic as she felt.