13

Venus had gone to The Boss to ask for a job. Her leg hadn't fully finished healing, but she didn't care anymore. All she knew was that she couldn't sit at home any longer, she felt like she would lose it.

The previous weekend had morphed into something else completely. Venus thought of how it had simultaneously been the best and worst weekend she had experienced in a while. Despite the good parts, Venus tried to block out both memories from her mind. After all they did not exist independently of each other. She couldn't think of Xena, and the delicious breakfast she had cooked for her without it morphing into the memory of her projectile vomiting all her breakfast up in her kitchen. Venus swallowed hard as she tasted bile on her tongue just thinking of the event.

"V."

Venus snapped out of her thoughts to see a man standing next to her. She recognized him as Carl, another Assassin that worked for The Boss. He was one of the few other Assassins that Venus sometimes interacted with.

"Carl, I need to see The Boss." Venus said to him. Nobody could not just walk into The Boss' heavily guarded mansion, especially when they had not been called upon. But Venus was different, and they all knew this. She had certain privileges which the other Assassins could only dream of. A smirk played onto Venus' face as she thought of just how powerful she was as an Assassin. It was the best thing about her.

Carl nodded his head, not even questioning her. He turned and said something to all the other Assassins around him before he motioned to Venus to follow him inside.

Venus followed Carl, walking up the steep steps that led to the main entrance of The Boss' mansion. She felt a slight pain in her leg just doing so, but she ignored it and continued onwards.

"I've got to give you a heads up, The Boss is taking care of some business at the moment, you might have to wait a bit."

Venus had not immediately understood what Carl had been referring to, but it immediately became clear to her the moment they stepped into The Boss' main room.

An Assassin which Venus faintly recognized but couldn't quite place was seated in a chair. Behind him, two other Assassins stood holding him down, keeping him firmly in place. The Boss himself was pacing around the Assassin,  holding a device in his hand. Venus instantly recognized the device and squirmed slightly.

"What did he do?" Venus whispered to Carl who was standing next to her.

"He told The Boss he wanted to retire."

Venus' eyes opened in shock. It was an unspoken rule, but they all knew it. Working as an Assassin for The Boss wasn't just a job you could give up one day. You couldn't retire. No, this was your life now, and you retired when you were dead.

As usual, The Boss' main room was filled with Assassins. However, there seemed to be even more this time, watching the events unfolding before them.

"Please Boss," the Assassin in the chair pleaded, "I take it back. I don't want to retire, I want to continue working for you."

Too late, Venus thought, and indeed it was. There was no changing The Boss' mind once he decided on something, and to him, any form of flaky loyalty was outright treasure.

As Venus watched, The Boss soundlessly leaned towards the Assassin, attaching the device to one of his front teeth. Venus swallowed hard. She knew what was coming.

"Now, give me one good reason why I shouldn't rip your teeth out right here?" The Boss asked the Assassin, straightening back up but still holding on firmly to the device in his mouth.

Tears were rolling down the Assassin's face. He looked pathetic as he shook violently.

"P-please B-Boss. I was only asking because I have a wife and kids now. I wanted to be a better father to them. This line of work is dangerous. I want to be able to see my kids grow up."