25

Venus stood outside in the pitch black. She was dressed in complete black from head to toe, to blend in with the night.

All around it was silent. Venus stood staring at the small house in front of her. This job was a bit different from her previous jobs. The Boss had only provided her with an address and ordered her to handle The Target as quickly as possible. Unlike usual, there was no picture of The Target, but she was informed that The Target lived alone.

Venus now moved, her feet rubbing against the grass softly. She crouched by the house, looking inwards. The curtains were drawn, but there was a gap. Venus couldn't really see anything through the gap, but only made out darkness within, signifying that the lights inside were off.

As silently as she could manage, Venus struck the glass, breaking it. She stayed in her crouched position for some time, just listening.

Nothing. It appeared The Target had not heard the glass breaking.

With one final glance around her, Venus crawled in through the hole in the window she had created. Her small frame allowed her to pass through easily and before long she was standing in what appeared to be a kitchen.

Venus squinted, quickly taking in her environment in the darkness. Taking a tentative step forward, Venus bumped into something resulting in a loud crashing sound. She instantly got down on the floor when she saw a light go on upstairs and the sound of approaching footsteps.

"Clarence, is that you?"

It was a woman's voice. But who was Clarence? Venus had been told that The Target will be home alone. Venus began racking her brain desperately as a panic overtook her. Was someone else in the house? Had someone seen her?

Not too far away from where Venus laid, there was a quiet 'meow'. Turning her head sharply, she came face to face with a cat. It had a pale grey fur coat and was looking at her with startling green eyes. It appeared to be a century old. It didn't take long for her to realize that was Clarence.

Moving on all fours, Venus crawled around the room till she was out of view of the cat. She let out a low breath of relief but was still on high alert. The footsteps were getting close.

"Clarence, what did you do?" Venus now heard the same voice from before ask.

The owner of the voice was currently in the same room as her, but Venus couldn't make out any of her features. She was hiding behind a chair to conceal her presence and was spying on the woman through the small gap under the chair, only seeing her downwards from her ankle.

The woman's hands came into view as she picked up several dishes from the floor. Venus realized that had been what she knocked over. She listened to the woman place them in their rightful positions before her hands came into view again. This time, the woman picked up the cat from the floor, opened the front door to let it outside.

The cat's 'meows' of protests were loud. They seemed to be an attempt at warning its owner, to alert her of Venus' presence. But the woman remained oblivious as she locked the door and silently began making her way back upstairs, her feet making soft sounds against the carpeting.

No doubt, she was Venus' Target.

Venus remained fixed in her position as she watched the lights go off. She waited another ten minutes before she got to her feet, walking in the direction that the woman had come from. The carpeted floor completely concealed her footsteps as she began to climb the stairs. As she did so, Venus reached into her waistband, retrieving her gun.

She had the silencer on so as not to alert the neighbors when she made the kill. This would be a quick job. Venus would go into the woman's room, make the hit, and be out in less than a minute. Her body probably wouldn't be discovered until a couple days later. Seeing as the woman lived alone, it might even take a whole week. Maybe the mail-man would be the first to notice the decaying smell coming from the house, or maybe it'd be the neighbors.