03

"V!"

Venus smiled bashfully, trying to keep the grin from spreading across her face as The Boss exclaimed her name. She knew that The Boss favored her over all the other Assassins. After all, she had performed more jobs for him than any of the others had, her loyalty was unwavering.

Venus loved this. She loved what she did and just how good she was at it. Sure enough, it wasn't the most 'wholesome' of jobs, but then again, Venus didn't have the most 'wholesome' of upbringings.

As usual, he was draped in an expensive-looking robe with gold jewelry on his fingers and hanging around his neck. Venus often wondered if all the jewelry he wore ever weighed him down, if it did he never showed signs of it. She understood that The Boss was someone who enjoyed luxury. Even if he was a gang leader, he was going to be a luxurious gang leader.

"Boss." Venus said, acknowledging him respectfully.

Another thing about The Boss, he liked respect. In his words, he was way too powerful for people to not respect him, the slightest hint of disrespect from anyone could often result in their death. Venus had seen it first hand for herself. Severally.

Venus now stood in The Boss' main room at his mansion. Red velvet drapes covered the walls, the floors were covered with matching red carpeting. The use of red was a conscious choice to conceal all the blood-spill that often occurred in that room.

As usual, The Boss was surrounded by at least twenty other Assassins; he had security around him at all times. He was too powerful of a man to move around freely without watching his back.

Venus was unfazed by the numerous men that were standing in the room with her. She was used to it. Furthermore, she was a highly regarded Assassin, none of the other Assassins would even think to cross her. They all knew that it would immediately be their heads, The Boss wouldn't even think twice about it.

Venus was able to recognize most of the other Assassins in the room but only knew a handful of names. She didn't really care for them, after all, she was a lone wolf. She didn't see the point in forming close alliances in her line of work, personal feelings could easily interfere with the job. Moreover, she didn't want to have to waste time mourning anyone if and when they were eventually killed.

"I hear your job was successful, as usual." The Boss now said as he nonchalantly smoked a pipe.

He was seated in his usual golden seat, his legs were sprawled over the side, his robe hanging down at the end of the chair.

"Yes Boss, The Target was handled just as you requested." Venus replied.

The Boss nodded his head as he drew a sharp inhale from his pipe. He already knew that the task had been taken care of, after all, he had sent his best Assassin.

The Boss now smiled. There was nothing he loved more than hard workers, and Venus definitely was a hard-worker.

"That would teach that bastard to ever say 'no' to me again."

Another thing about The Boss, he hated being told 'no'. He was Richard Mascetti after all, the most powerful and most feared gang leader in the entire continent. Anybody saying 'no' to him, no matter who they were was something he just couldn't take. It was an insult to his power, to his very being, to his legacy. It was another form of disrespect and anyone that told him 'no' might as well be killed.

The Boss now rose from his seat, walking towards Venus as he placed his pipe between his lips. His robes dragged against the floor. He was a short man, Venus easily towered above him. Nobody ever mentioned how short he was, talking about his height was another thing he deemed to be a sign of disrespect. It was something that could easily get one killed.

The Boss stopped in front of Venus, examining her. "You look to be in good condition, I heard it was a close call, but you came out unscratched. I wish I could say the same for Bruce over there."

Venus who had not even realized that Bruce was in the room now turned her head coming face to face with Bruce a little distance away. So he had managed to escape after all, but only narrowly from the looks of things. Bruce had a bloody bandage wrapped tightly around his upper arm, it appeared that he had taken a bullet.

Venus bit down desperately on her lip to keep from laughing. Even with the aid she had given him, Bruce had still managed to get hurt. What more, the Police had probably identified him too. He possibly now had the feds after him.

The look on Bruce's face was priceless. He had turned red from the embarrassment he felt, he hated being shamed, especially in front of Venus. He felt his blood grow hot as it often did whenever he was bested by Venus, but he clutched his hands in fist and kept his mouth clamped shut.

"The FBI is on our case." The Boss now announced to the room of Assassins as he made his way back to his chair.

He said it casually, as if he had just announced he was going to go out for ice-cream later. But then again, the FBI being on his case wasn't something that he wasn't used to. They were always on his case.

"A source told me that they're trying to narrow down on us." The Boss said as he readjusted into his seat. "So as usual, stay alert, and there is absolutely no space for carelessness right now."

The Boss glanced over at Bruce as he spoke, much to the annoyance of the muscular man. Venus on the other hand was grinning freely, she was really enjoying the embarrassment and shame that Bruce was experiencing in this moment.

There were murmurs of acknowledgement of what The Boss had just said throughout the room.

The Boss now turned his attention back to Venus as he inhaled deeply from his pipe.

"V, I have an important job for you."

Venus was thrown off guard by this information. It was rare for her to be given jobs so close in succession, for a brief moment it made her worry. Worrying was not something Venus usually did. She was self-assured in her skills as an Assassin, and this was all that really mattered to her. After all, it was what had gotten her to her current stage in life.

Venus took a glance at the pure look of fury on Bruce's face and the worry immediately dissolved within her. She replaced it instead with a small smirk which she made sure Bruce was in full view of. She knew that he hated the fact that she was getting a new job and he wasn't, and from the looks of things, he probably would not be getting a new job anytime soon.

"Yes, Boss?" Venus now said, focusing her attention to The Boss.

The Boss nodded his head slowly as he drew another breath from his pipe. The smoke from the pipe had now slowly begun filling the room, the scent of tobacco was strong. The smell wasn't necessarily a bad one, Venus didn't mind it as much compared to the smell of cigarette tobacco.

"I need you to carry out a very important hit for me. I'd be paying you five times the usual rate."

There was a collection of quiet gasps that filled the room. All Assassins knew what a job that paid five times the usual rate meant, these were the hardest of jobs that one could be assigned. Often, it was these types of jobs that usually took Assassins out.

Venus inaudibly gulped, the worry she previously felt had slowly crept up on her. She had only ever been assigned a five rate job once before. Instinctively, she reached her arm up and brushed the scar at the back of her neck which served as a reminder from that job. But that was almost five years ago, she was more mature now, a much better Assassin.

"What's the job Boss?"