28

Why was Agent Daniels looking at Venus like that, and why did he keep calling her Jasmine? Xena wished she knew. Agent Daniels was ignoring her existence completely, much rather focusing on Venus.

"Um, hey..." Venus said, looking up at Agent Daniels with wide eyes.  It was obvious just how uncomfortable she felt.

Xena cleared her throat, and for the first time it seemed that Agent Daniels had realized her presence. Confusion was clear in his features as he looked between the two women. Venus just blinked at him blankly whilst Xena full on glared at him, she didn't like the fact that he was even interacting with Venus.

"Is there anything you need?" Xena now asked, speaking up. It came out a little harsher than she expected but she didn't take it back, after all, he was the one interrupting their date.

There was a moment of silence. Once again, Agent Daniels moved his eyes between Venus and Xena. "Um no." He murmured finally. He gave them one last glance before turning on his heels and walking away.

A silence now hung between the two women as Xena silently waited for an explanation.

Venus caught onto this and spoke hurriedly. "I met him at La belle nuit the other night. He asked for my name so I gave him a fake name because I didn't feel comfortable giving him my real one."

Xena felt an anger go through her at the fact that Agent Daniels had even dared approach Xena. So that was what he had been up to that night?

"You seem to know him." Venus now said, but Xena could sense the question in her voice.

"Yeah, he's a colleague of mine at work... we don't necessarily get on well together-"

A small chuckle escaped Venus' mouth and Xena looked at the smaller woman in amusement.

"Obnoxious men at work? Tell me about it."

This immediately peaked Xena's interest. "You have an obnoxious colleague at work too? Where do you work?"

Venus had been drinking from her ice-tea and instantly began choking. In a split second, Xena was at her side, patting and rubbing her back soothingly. They had gotten a few looks of concern from the surrounding people, but Venus had slowly calmed down.

The previous question that Xena had asked escaped her mind as something else dawned unto her.

"Venus, come on, there's somewhere else we need to be."

The smaller woman looked at her in confusion, which just made Xena smile even more. Taking out some cash from her pocket, she placed it unto the table as she took the younger woman's hand in hers and began making their way away from the outside restaurant.

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise."

They walked in silence for a little while longer, hand in hand. Xena relished in the feeling of the younger woman's hand in hers. She never wanted to let her go.

"Here we are." Xena announced as they arrived in front of a lake.Venus was silent beside her and a slight smile tugged at Xena's lips. She knew the smaller woman was confused.

"What are we going to do here?" Venus finally asked, voicing her thoughts.

Xena's smile grew wider.

Gently, she led the woman to a small boat by the side of the lake. She watched as Venus' eyes opened as realization dawned over her. Excitement lingered in her eyes.

Xena guided Venus inside the boat before sitting opposite from her. She took the oars and gently began to row.

The sky had significantly darkened and the New York City air had begun to grow chilly when Xena finally stopped rowing the boat, just allowing it to float on the lake.