21

Venus was engulfed by the scent of Xena. The soft smell of vanilla was everywhere. She felt as if she was eternally falling into Xena.

By the time she woke up the next morning, she realized why that was. She was lying in an unknown bed, which Venus figured to be Xena's. The sheets were so soft, nothing compared to the scruffy sheets she had back in her apartment.

A faint memory crossed through Venus' mind of last night, of being carried into the bed and Xena sleeping next to her. The longer she thought about it, she realized it wasn't just a memory.

Venus felt a light, unrecognizable flutter in the pit of her stomach. Sleeping in someone else's bed wasn't anything she had ever done, unless she was having sex with them. But even then, it didn't mean anything at all, not like this. Something was different about this.

This was the first night in a while that Venus had slept throughout. Uninterrupted, at peace. This was something that Venus didn't think was possible for her to have. The nameless faces did not float in her dreams last night. The dark memories did not surface.

Looking over to the other side of the bed, Venus saw it was empty. She slowly got to her feet, taking a quick glance around the room. It was a large room, but very minimalist. Everything was placed in a particular order, neatly. Venus felt like she was interrupting the whole 'neat' theme that the room had going on. She bent down and pulled the duvet up, concealing the unmade bed beneath.

Immediately Venus stepped out of the room she was overcome by the familiar smell of bacon and eggs, paired with the sound of her stomach growling. It was as if she was under a spell as she walked towards the direction of the smell.

"Good morning." It was Xena. She was standing in the kitchen wearing nothing but shorts and a tank top. Venus found her eyes lingering on her long toned legs, which were on full exposure.

"Good morning." She said back to her meekly.

"Did you sleep well?"

Venus didn't have a word to describe just how "well" she had slept, so she didn't say anything, just nodded.

Venus felt shy all of a sudden. She settled down at the kitchen island as she watched Xena cook, sneaking glances at the taller woman who was softly humming as she turned the eggs over in a pan. Her hair was messy and kept falling into her eyes, but she still looked beautiful. Absolutely unreal. Venus found her eyes trailing over to Xena's arms. She admired the muscular build, wondering what it would feel like to touch it.

After a few more minutes of just watching her, Xena turned around, setting down a full plate of English breakfast in front of Venus. It was just like the one she had cooked for her last time.

Excitement filled Venus just looking at the food before her.

Xena set down an identical plate for herself and poured orange juice into glasses for the both of them before settling down opposite from Venus.

The meal was eaten in silence. It wasn't a weird silence, rather; it was a strange sort of comfortable silence. Venus savored the food in her mouth. The last time Xena had cooked for her, she had puked every last bit up. She was determined to not have a repeat of that event.  Venus bit into her toast, relishing in the way the butter melted on it and tasted in her mouth.

"You've got some butter on your lips," Xena suddenly said to her, smiling slightly.

Venus instinctively felt her neck heat up in embarrassment and she moved her hand up trying to clean off the butter.

"Can I?" Xena asked, stretching out her arm.

Venus hesitated for a moment, then she slowly nodded.