36

Xena felt her heart explode in her chest as she watched the smaller woman cry. Venus' arm was now lying by her side, her gun no longer pressed against her temple like it had been just a few seconds before.

Xena didn't care. She didn't care about anything besides the woman in front of her. Honestly, it scared her the way her heart seemed to break into a million pieces the longer she watched her cry.

"Venus-"

"No Xena." Venus suddenly said, interrupting her. The small woman brought her face up, her light eyes grazing hers. "I can't kill you. No matter how hard I try, I can't kill you."

Xena thought she must have gone crazy because her heart had fallen at this news. It was then that she realized she was willing to die if it meant Venus lived. She gulped audibly.

"They're just going to come after you." Venus' voice shook with fear as she spoke. "They're going to torture you. They'd make sure you die a slow and painful death."

Xena didn't care. "Venus, you have to shoot me or else you'd die."

The smaller woman looked up at her and shook her head. "I can't, I refuse to."

Looking into Venus' eyes, Xena knew she wasn't going to do it. She knew that Venus wouldn't hurt her. She might be an Assassin, but all of that seemed irrelevant in that moment.

"You need to stay away from me." Venus murmured, getting to her feet. "Please, get away from here. Tell the rest of the FBI about what I told you so they can protect you, it'd be harder for Richard Mascetti and his other Assassins to get to you."

Xena didn't care about any of that. Xena got to her feet too, reaching out she grabbed Venus, pulling the younger woman into her.

Instantly, Venus pushed her away. "What's wrong with you? I just told you to stay away from me."

Xena reached out, grabbing hold of the younger woman once again and pulling her towards her. She needed to feel her, needed to have her close to her.

Once again, Venus pushed her away, this time more aggressive than before. "What the fuck is wrong with you? I just tried to kill you, what are you doing?"

Xena paid no attention as she reached out once again, but Venus slapped her hand away mid-air. The smaller woman looked at her incredulously from eyes that were still watery. "I just tried to kill you. I'm a threat to you! Stay the fuck away from me, Xena, stay away!"

Xena reached out again. Venus slapped her hand away again.

"Don't you have any self-preservation? You're crazy! I'm an Assassin, I kill people, you're an FBI Agent, a bad one apparently seeing as you still haven't turned me in."

Xena reached out. This time Venus kicked her in her shin. Hard. Doubling over,  Xena squeezed her eyes shut. It hurt her, but the pain was nothing compared to the one in her chest.  After a few seconds she straightened up, looking at Venus that was panting heavily. Fresh tears streaming down the younger woman's face.

There were a few moments of silence. During these moments neither of the women reacted. Both of them just looked at the other with tears streaming from their faces.

Xena reached out again. This time, Venus didn't fight her. She allowed the taller woman to pull her close, burying her wet face in the crook of her neck.

Xena released a breath she hadn't realized that she was holding once her body came in contact with the smaller woman's. A calm crossed over her and she held the Venus close, scared that she would dissolve from her very arms. Scared that she'd try and fight her way out of her grip all over again.