04

Xena breathed out a heavy sigh of relief the moment she arrived at her apartment. It was only her first day working on this new case, yet; it was already leaving her exhausted.

She now looked around the penthouse suite that she was to be staying in, feeling her bare feet against the cold marble floor and admiring the furniture that was already put in place. Everything was to her taste.

Xena slowly walked around the apartment as she thought of Agent Fox. They had talked little outside of work, but then again, she didn't expect him to want to do much talking outside of work. That was simply how Agent Fox liked to keep things.

Xena thought back to her training days, it had been Agent Fox that had trained her. He had made her into the Agent she was today, but they hardly ever spoke about this or even shared this information with any of the other Agents they worked with. Xena knew that he didn't want the other Agents thinking that he was biased towards her because of this.

Sighing deeply, Xena bent down and began unpacking her small suitcase. She realized that her usual light packing was simply not going to fly this time around; it was now clear to her she would be in New York for a much longer period of time. She thought of the case she had before her. Sure enough, this case was a lot different from the other cases she had previously worked on, she was sure of it.

Throughout the course of the day she had constantly had the feeling that there was something missing, that they were all missing out on a crucial part of their investigation. It was just a gut instinct that Xena got, however, her gut instincts were usually right. Yet, she couldn't figure out what it was.

The apartment was completely silent as Xena unpacked which was probably why her mind was still preoccupied with work. Sometimes, it felt like her work was her entire life. For the majority of hours of the day, Xena spent it working, the few hours that she didn't, she spent it thinking about work. It could often be grueling.

Xena slowly got to her feet looking around herself, trying to find something to help take her mind off work. Searching for something to occupy her mind; but there was nothing.

"I'd go get some fresh air," Xena murmured to herself as she began changing out of her work clothes.

After all, she was in New York City. There was no way that Xena was going to spend her first night in The City worrying about work, it was a bad omen, not a good way to set the tone.

Xena's normal clothes were not much different from her work clothes. The dark vibes were pretty much still there all the same. She had changed into black jeans with rips at the knees, a plain black shirt and had kept on the black boot that she wore to work.

'Fuck it' Xena thought to herself.

She knew she really gravitated towards darker colors, sometimes it freaked her out when she realized the complete lack of color that existed in her closet. Sure enough, once in a while she tried to wear bright colors, but that was not her and she always ended up changing out of it within an hour.

The New York breeze slapped against Xena's face the second she stepped outside her building, and she instantly felt a relief wash over her. This was what she needed.

The streets were rowdy in the usual New York manner but Xena continued to walk, unfazed by this. She liked the noise and excitement that New York bustled with; it made her feel less alone; it rejuvenated her.

Being alone wasn't really something that bothered Xena. Sure, she felt the occasional burst of loneliness from time to time, but that wasn't something that she couldn't handle. Being a Secret Agent was often a very busy job that involved flying around quite often, hence, could often result in being alone for a good percentage of the time. That didn't change the fact that she still occasionally craved some stability.