24

Xena found herself thinking that Venus had to have been the best thing to have happened to her. She knew that she was being forward, seeing as she hadn't known the brown-skinned woman for that long. Yet, Xena couldn't stop thinking that they were always meant to be. It was as if they were ultimately just two parts of one whole.

Xena loved every single second of the weekend she had spent with Venus. She had felt a lot happier than she had been in a long time. She didn't feel as alone as she previously did anymore.

But like clockwork, the work week had started once again and Xena was plunged right back into the Richard Mascetti case.

She hadn't heard from Venus since she left her apartment abruptly for a work-related issue. Xena hoped that whatever it was, the younger woman was doing okay. She had appeared really worried when she had gotten the call from her Boss. Xena still had no idea what it was that Venus' job was, regardless, it appeared to be pretty important seeing as her Boss had called her so suddenly.

The week had just started, but it was already hectic. The days were so long, and as much as Xena wanted to see Venus again, most nights she was way too tired. She would arrive home and instantly collapse into bed. Venus' scent was still faint in her sheets, and Xena went to sleep each night imagining that the smaller woman was cradled in her arms.

Xena now pushed her thoughts to the back of her mind as she concentrated on the work laid out before her. She had already spent enough time reminiscing about her weekend and knew she wouldn't get any work done if she kept on thinking of Venus.

Xena was going through witness reports for what felt like the millionth time. She knew that Agent Daniels had since stopped looking at the witness reports, concluding that there was nothing helpful there and had instead gone back to reviewing camera footage or finding any additional sources of information. To be honest, Xena wanted to do the same. No matter how hard she tried, she felt like she was only going in circles.

However, there was something that Xena couldn't quite shake off. It was the pattern she had previously found. Her gut told her that the pattern was important in finding the Assassin.

For a brief moment, Xena went over things in her mind. She had done this before so many times already. The pattern was the common denominator: the witnesses stated that neither of them had seen anyone out of the ordinary.

Xena felt the screws in her head turning as she came to the realization that the Assassin had to have a way to blend in with the crowd.

But how could an Assassin blend in with the crowd?

Xena challenged herself then.

What exactly was the image of an Assassin?

When Xena thought of an Assassin, she pictured a big bulky man. Probably covered in tattoos and various facial scars. Most of the Assassins she had ever encountered matched this description entirely. But was this all an Assassin could be?

Xena could feel in her stomach that there was something she was missing out on.

The image of the Assassin she had in her head would have a very difficult time blending into crowds. But yet, all the witnesses had described not seeing anyone that appeared out of the ordinary.

A brief moment passed, then suddenly Xena jumped to her feet as realization dawned upon her. She grasped what the issue was. It was as if she could now see clearly, realizing what the fault had been in the way the Agents had operated all along. It was so obvious, yet; they hadn't been able to see it.

Without a second to spare, Xena made her way over to Agent Fox's office. Her heart was pounding in her chest, she felt so certain in that moment.

Xena arrived at the office, knocking sharply on the door. The anticipation was eating her from within.

"Come in." Agent Fox called from inside.

Xena entered the office, expecting to see just Agent Fox. Rather, Agent Daniels was there as well. He was seated across from Agent Fox and they had papers, files and a bunch of equipment spread out between them. Had they been working on the case together? Did Agent Fox choose to work on the case with Agent Daniels rather than her?

"How may I help you, Agent Vale?" Agent Fox asked.

Xena swallowed hard, determined not to let anything stop her from saying what she needed to.

"Agent Fox." Xena now began, "I think I've figured out why it's been so hard for us to find out who the Assassin is."

Agent Fox immediately leaned forward in his chair. Even Agent Daniels had peaked an interest in what Xena had to say.

Xena began with explaining the common patterns she had come across when looking through the witness reports. Both men looked at her. She knew they had probably picked up on these patterns as well and were wondering where she was going with this. However, it was important for Xena to run through these details for the conclusion she would ultimately arrive at.

"All this time," Xena now said, "unknowingly, we've been putting the profile of the Assassin into a particular box. Clueless to this, we put this same idea unto the witnesses we interviewed through the questions we ask and the language we used." She cleared her throat. "It's the effect of leading questions, so the witnesses think they are looking for an Assassin in this same profile and cannot provide us with any helpful information."

Xena took a quick break then.

"I think we haven't been able to find the Assassin because they do not fall into the profile we assume them too: the stereotypical profile of an Assassin."

There was a brief silence in the room. Agent Fox looked at Xena, processing her words.

"What are you trying to say, Agent Vale?"

"What if-," Xena began once again, "what if the Assassin we're after isn't a man like we've been assuming all this time. What if they're a woman?" As Xena spoke, she almost felt ashamed of herself. She too had fallen into the mentality of thinking the Assassin was a man because being an Assassin was a male-dominated field. Yet, she too was a female in a male-dominated field.

"No way." Agent Daniels suddenly said, speaking up for the first time. "There's no way the Assassin is female. I'm not even trying to be sexist by saying this, but a woman shouldn't be able to take on so many men at a time the way the Assassin does."

"Neither should a male." Xena instantly fired back. "If so many men came unto one man at a time, even if he is a man, he wouldn't be able to take them all out. But if you've been paying attention, you'd have noticed that the Assassin's victims never die from close contact injuries such as strangulation or even their necks being slit by a knife. Most of the time, it's bullet wounds."

Agent Daniels had gone silent, much to the satisfaction of Xena who redirected her attention at Agent Fox. "Our Assassin allegedly being a woman gives them an advantage in blending into different settings. Women aren't usually suspected in these types of situations. Our Assassin is also skilled with guns, as I'm sure we've all noticed, their aim is precise. They are able to take out victims with a singular gun shot. Most times, the victim is even dead before they hit the ground."

The silence that lingered in the room was a significant one. Xena sat back and enjoyed it, a faint smug smile plastered unto her face.

"Agent Vale, have I ever told you how proud I am to have been the one to train you?"

Xena thought her eyes might pop out of her head. This was the last thing she had been expecting Agent Fox to say. More so, Agent Daniels was there to hear him say it. It took everything within her to hold back the smirk that was threatening to appear on her face.

"Agent Daniels, I need you to assemble the other Agents." Agent Fox had directed his attention to a dumbfounded Agent Daniels, "tell them to call back in the different witnesses. Agent Vale, you stay here with me, we have more to discuss."

The look of shock on Agent Daniels face was one Xena wished she could take a picture of. In that moment, she felt extremely good.

It appeared that once again, her gut feeling had not failed her. Xena silently wondered what type of woman could be an Assassin. Oddly enough, Xena was met with a gut feeling that informed her that wasn't something she'd want to know.

This stirred up a silent fear within Xena. After all, her gut feeling was never wrong.