38

There was the sound of ringing, and Xena's heavy eyelids opened softly. For a moment, she just laid there, her mind blank. That was until the realization that the bed next to her was empty. Venus was gone.

The ringing had intensified in Xena's ears. It was only then that she realized what it was: her phone.

Xena began scrambling around in her bed, shuffling through the sheets until she retrieved her phone, hidden beneath her pillow. She cleared her throat and answered the call without looking at the ID, still half asleep.

"Agent Vale."

It was Agent Fox's voice.

"Agent Fox." Xena replied, hoping that her voice did not sound as spaced out as she felt.

"Where are you? It's already noon, but you're not in the office. I need you here ASAP. The sketch of our Assassin is nearly completed."

At that moment Xena's eyes shot open, and reality seemed to crash down on her. From the light streaming in through her window, it was clear to Xena that the sun had since risen.

"I'd be there in twenty." Venus said into her cellphone. There was a hum of approval from Agent Fox before he hung up.

Immediately, Xena got to her feet. It was only then that she realized she was stark naked. For a few seconds the memories of the night before crossed her mind and Xena felt her body heat up, then she shook her head. She shouldn't be thinking about that right now.

Xena got dressed quickly enough. She had overslept, no doubt because of the events that had ensued in her apartment in the early hours of the morning.

As Xena brushed her teeth, her mind wandered to Venus. She wondered where the smaller woman was; she wondered why she had left her apartment without saying anything to her. Xena hoped she was okay, she desperately wanted to swing by her apartment to check up on her but she pushed the feeling down. She needed to deal with work first. She needed to find out what exactly was going on and how much they knew.

Things were escalating much quicker than Xena had anticipated.

The drive to work was a very grey one. Literally. It was raining, heavy droplets of water fell down from the sky. Xena found herself thinking that the weather reflected her mood, it had changed so drastically seeing as it was bright and sunny mere minutes ago. Xena tried not to think of this as a bad omen of sorts as she arrived at work.

She passed a number of Agents as usual, nodding at them before making her way to the elevator which led her to the second topmost floor.

Arriving at Agent Fox's door, Xena took a deep breath before knocking sharply.

"Come in!"

She entered the room to see that Agent Daniels was already there, a dark feeling of dread crossed over her as she realized that Agent Daniels was going to be seeing the sketch too.

"Agent Vale, just in time, come in, please."

Xena swallowed as she did just that, making her way over to Agent Fox's large table. Agent Daniels nodded at her, which she returned stiffly.

"Here's the copy I got sent in today." Agent Fox said placing a blown up sketch in front of the two of them.

Xena stared at the picture, and her heart almost stopped. Even though the sketch was not fully completed, it might as well have been. Venus was fully recognizable. It didn't escape Xena how she now had hair. Her long locs were drawn in perfectly. No doubt the Doctor had been able to identify the hairstyle. The longer she stared, the more her throat seemed to close up. The details were there.