05

Venus pretended to read the article on the MacBook before her. In reality, she was watching the boy seated not so far from where she was.

She had gone out of her way to memorize the details about him: Issac Lewski. 21. College student. Last but not least, son of Governor Lewski.

Governor Lewski had disrespected The Boss. In a press conference the previous week he had said The Boss was a weak man that hid behind his numerous Assassins and could not stand up for himself. The Boss had not liked this, not in the slightest, now the Governor's son was going to die. Sure enough, the reason was rather petty, but it was not in Venus' place to question anything.

She knew that this was a very dangerous Assassin job; she knew this the moment The Boss told her what the pay for the job would be. Regardless of that, Venus had been reminded of its difficulty throughout the course of the day. The Target was constantly surrounded by bodyguards and Venus was yet to find an opening.

For the Assassin job, Venus was playing the part of an NYU College Student. Luckily for her, she easily blended into the part, this was probably why The Boss had chosen her. All the other Assassins were sure to raise suspicion with their bulky build and a thousand piercings and tattoos, but not her: sweet, innocent-looking 'V'. Furthermore, there was also the fact she was the only Assassin most likely to finish the job and finish it successfully.

Venus leaned back in her seat, pretending to stretch but in reality sneaking another glance at The Target. He was conversing with a blonde girl seated opposite from him. Venus realized that she probably wouldn't be able to make the hit on The Target in this setting. Besides the fact that way too many people were around, as usual, his bodyguards were seated not so far away from where he was, scanning the room occasionally.

Venus resisted the urge to smirk. She had already assessed these bodyguards, they were average at best, probably just a whole lot of muscle but a lot less of brain. Basically, these were Bruces. She smiled slightly to herself at her comparison as she leaned back over the laptop in front of her.

Venus skimmed the random article that she had propped up on her screen, but her mind wasn't there. Instead, it wandered back to the night before. Venus had gone down to her usual bar. It was one of the quieter, smaller, less-known bars in The City, so she often went there. She usually just sat there, had a few drinks and left, but last night was different.

A woman had come in. Venus knew she wasn't a regular, she had never seen her before. She seemed to have a dark aura around her which was what peeked Venus' interest in the first place. This was clear from her short dark hair which constantly fell into her eyes, and her dark clothing, right down to her hard combat boots. Venus usually didn't take an interest in people, but the woman's appearance was one that had Venus hooked.

Venus had slyly watched the woman who had taken a seat next to her. She wondered what the woman's drink of choice was going to be. The woman looked like the type of person to ask for straight vodka, but then the woman opened her mouth and asked for a 'coca-cola' which immediately threw Venus off guard. She had let out a scoff, it was loud and rude. But Venus didn't care, she didn't owe anybody kindness. It was then that conversation with the woman had ensued. Even though Venus had initially ignored the woman's attempts to get her attention, she found herself enjoying it. She liked the attention. She liked that the woman wanted her attention, it made her feel good.

But then the woman had asked to buy her a drink which was taking things too far for Venus. Just like that, she had ruined it. Venus wasn't going to have a "drink" with her, she knew the connotations behind it. She was an Assassin. She didn't sit around getting to know people, it just wasn't in her nature. Killing people was more up to her speed.