Toilet Bound Hanako-kun

ANIME &MANGA

Name: Toilet-bound Hanako-Kun/ Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun

Genre(s): Comedy, Supernatural, School, Shounen

Source: Manga

Produced by: Studio Lerche

Author: Iro Aida 

Number of episodes: 12

Subbed: Yes

Dubbed: Yes

Status (Anime): Finished Airing

Status (Manga): Ongoing ( 70.5 chapters )

Synopsis: Kamome Academy is famous for its rumors regarding its Seven Mysteries and supernatural occurrences. Nene Yashiro, a first-year high-school student who loves the occult and wishes for a boyfriend, summons the Seventh and most famous Mystery, "Hanako-san of the Toilet", a girl who allegedly haunts the bathroom and can grant wishes for the right price. Upon summoning her, Yashiro discovers that "Hanako-san" is nothing like the rumors say; Hanako is a boy. With a turn of events, she is spiritually bound to Hanako and becomes his assistant, helping him destroy evil supernaturals and change rumors in order to maintain the balance between the spirit world and the human world. Along the way, Yashiro learns about her connection to the spirit world and the dark secrets regarding Hanako and his past.

Memorable Quotes

" I changed it once, so I'll change it again. " ~ from the opening song (and it's meaningful, I swear on my life )

" It's just... Whenever I look at that rock, I feel like I could go anywhere. But... I've made up my mind now, I'm not going anywhere. " ~Amane Yugi 

" I tried talking to... every person I thought was my friend... But none of them knew it was me. ...Only I... remembered. " ~ Mitsuba

" When you die, that’s it. There’s nothing more. Nothing new begins. " ~ Hanako

" Just because you’re dead doesn’t mean we can’t be friends. " ~ Minamoto Kou

" You should make your decision. Just make sure you don’t regret it " ~ Tsuchigomori

Personal Opinion Section

VelvetColors

" Even though this show isn't completed yet, I already know that I am fully hooked. The art style isn't one that I would usually tolerate, but I pushed onward and found myself quite liking to cutesy style and the way the comical scenes looked in it.

I, at first, was expecting some sort of very comical, cliché of sort bathroom cleaning related anime, but there is actual emotion in the show. I don't know what the anime does but I connect with and love every character, even the airhead Nene  who I usually would hate for how oblivious she is. She is caring, innocent, but not in the useless sort of way. It's nice to see that.

The backstories and haven't been shown fully yet keeps me wondering, and I can tell that the payoff is going to be amazing. They don't drop the way people act or the secrets and/or promises they keep, and the fighting, sarcastic or jokes said always have me smiling.

The anime has a very good hold on your emotions, even if I didn't feel like crying through anything but two scenes from the show. It's super enjoyable, and I totally recommend people who haven't watched it, to do so! "

blaziken01trainer

" Toilet Bound Hanako-kun wasn't an anime I was expecting to be fully invested in at all. At first, I thought it'd your regular funny supernatural anime but I was wrong. The anime, though funny at times, has the right times of suspense and turned out to be quite emotional. The bits and pieces of backstory given to the viewers is just enough to make you intrigued and pushes you to watch the next episode for answers.

I quickly grew attached to the characters despite Yashiro Nene's obliviousness being a tad annoying at first. I found the artsyle quite attractive and quite original. Although, the soundtracks of the anime do not particularly stand out, the opening is a banger and the ending is good.

The manga continues on the emotional side of the story; we get to know the apparitions as well as Nene's classmates even better. It has surprising plotwists and the few coloured pages are gorgeous. I was impressed by the amount of details the manga's artsyle contains since I initially thought it would be the usual clean manga art you'd have.

In the end, I really enjoyed Toilet-bound Hanako-kun and I love the manga even more. I recommend it to people who want a good yet short anime. The manga is really more for people who like comex, emotional backstories. "

Opening

No.7 by Jibaku Shounen Band

Ending

Tiny Light by Akari Kito

-----------------------

Oof. I somehow managed to publish this chapter! As I announced yesterday, I will be going into semi-hiatus as from the start of October for a period of time not exceeding 3 months. So no update for a while after this one, sorry 😢

But, fear not, I'll be working on future chapters!

Thank you to VelvetColors for requesting and helping out with this chapter!

I hope this encouraged you to watch Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun. Until the next update,

Blaze, out!