Chapter 8

"Just. Pick. Something."

"It's too hard! I have to save the perfect outfit for tomorrow but I can't choose one!"

I stand helplessly in the bathroom doorway as I watch Caitlin bury herself in the contents of her suitcase. I had just returned from my Starbucks outing with Phoebe, after meeting up with Ricky. Us three had decided that everyone was still jet-lagged, and he offered to run out to a deli and bring us all back lunch. Well, after receiving that news I was planning on having a quiet afternoon in the hotel room, maybe watch some TV and surf the Internet. Of course my plans were compromised, though, because I came back to my room to a wide-awake Caitlin in a frenzy to find the perfect outfit for meeting the boys tomorrow. Now, ten minutes later, she's still in her Aéropostale sweats, digging through her suitcase as if her life depends on it.

"Calm yourself, Cate," I soothe her. "We're leaving for dinner in, like, seven hours. You have plenty of time to pick something to wear."

She looks up at me from the floor, with several shirts in her hand and a crazed look in her eyes. Dear God. "Easy for you to say! You've had your outfit ready for a month!" she whines.

"Shhh," I say, reaching down to smooth her messy behead. "I'll help you! How hard can it be? All we need is to pick a top, bottoms and shoes. No big deal."

Caitlin slowly looks up at me, her eyes wide and scary looking. It actually sends shudders down my spine. "No. Big. Deal?" she whispers. "No big deal?!" I slowly back away. The girl is mental.

"Now Caitlin, I want you to listen to me..."

"WE ARE MEETING ONE DIRECTION TOMORROW!" she cries out, making me jump. "The boys we have idolized for almost two years are in this very city! And in twenty-four hours, we are meeting them. We will be talking to them. And breathing their air. If I look bad tomorrow, and I end up never seeing them again, they will remember me forever as an ugly freak!!"

Oh my god. Dramaaaaa queen. "Ok, first of all, you are gorgeous. Even without makeup and cute clothes. You can pull anything off, not that you own anything ugly," I say, motioning to her suitcase full of cute blouses, skirts, and shoes. "Second, you know how the boys always say in interviews that they are just normal guys?" Caitlin slowly nods, the color returning to her cheeks. "Well," I continue, "that's exactly what they are. Five normal guys. Who happen to be international superstars... but on the inside they are really just five normal guys. I promise you that they won't care what you wear. They'll be lucky just to meet you!" I smile at my best friend, hoping that everything I just said will convince her. I sit down next to her, putting clothes back into the suitcase.

"You really think they'll be lucky to meet me?" Caitlin asks, starting to look like herself again.

"Of course!" I say. "You're beautiful and fun to be with, not to mention hilarious. They will love you!"

She gives me a big smile. "You are the best friend EVER!" She tackles me in a huge hug.

"Aagh!" I say, laughing and pushing her off me. "Don't hurt the Nina! So here's the deal," I tell her. "Ricky's gonna bring us lunch so we have nothing to do until dinner, so I say you and I have a little beauty day. We can do our nails and facials and just hang out. I just bought a bunch of magazines in the lobby, so we can read those and watch some TV. That always makes you feel better! Then we can pick out your outfit for tomorrow. How does that sound?"

"Um, totally amazing!" Caitlin says, standing up. "I swear, you always know what to do. You're a freaking psychic."

I bow deeply. "I try, I try," I gush. "Well I'm gonna go grab all my makeup stuff, you find a good channel on TV." Caitlin nods and grabs the remote as I walk to the bathroom, scooping up all my cosmetics and nail polishes. I return to the bedroom and Caitlin is sitting cross-legged on her bed, flipping through channels. I lay out my things on the bed when I hear Miley Cyrus' voice coming from the TV.

"Ooooooh, The Last Song is on!" Caitlin squeals. "I love this movie!" It's true, she is a total sucker for romantic comedies.

"Me too!" I say. "Ok, let's do nails first, so we have time to watch the movie, and then when they're all dry we can try out my new avocado facial!" I spread out about ten bottles of nail polish in front of us. I have kind of an obsession with painting my nails, so whenever I travel I always bring a few of my favorite colors.

Caitlin looks at them and chooses a peach color. "I'll have that one," she says. "And this one would look super cute on you!" She points to a light pink bottle.

"I totally agree," I say. Caitlin puts her hands out and I open her bottle, slowly painting on the polish. "So I have a little inside scoop about Phoebe."

"Oh my God, tell me!" Caitlin urges, almost making me mess up her nails. "Did she tell you what she was laughing at back at the airport? Is she mean?"

"No, none of that," I reply. "She's actually a pretty cool girl. Really down-to-earth and funny. But, um, there is a certain quality about her that I know you won't like."

"What?" she asks.

"Well..." I say, "Phoebe's... new. To this." I point to a magazine I just bought, where One Direction takes the cover. "She found them through WMYB."

Caitlin wrinkles her nose. "Ech," she says. "But that's so not fair! Think of all the X-Factor fans! They should be here, not her."

"Right?" I say. I move on to Caitlin's other hand. "Well, it doesn't really matter, because she seems as obsessed as we are. If that's even possible."

"No." Caitlin snaps. "It is most definitely not possible." We laugh and when I finish Caitlin's nails, she starts on mine. We lie down on the bed with our wet nails for the next hour, watching the movie and drooling over Liam Hemsworth, until our nail polish is completely hardened.

"Facial time!" I sing, and during a commercial break we both go to the bathroom to wash our hands.

"Hold your hand out," I say, taking the squeeze bottle of avocado mask. I squirt a quarter size dollop of the green goo into Caitlin's hand, and she starts to smear it onto her face. I do the same and we rub the mask in.

"Ahh, iss hardenin," Caitlin mumbles, her face starting to freeze into position.

"I know!" I reply, feeling the mask harden over my face. I wash the extra goo off my hands as I hear someone knock on the door.

"Who's there?" Caitlin moans, walking to the door. She looks through the peephole. "Iss Ricky!" she whispers. "I think he has our lunch."

"Oh my god, we should open the door like this," I say, trying not to laugh. I grab the doorknob. "One, two, three..." I thrust the door open to face Ricky. Caitlin and I jump out with our green faces and start moaning like zombies.

"CRAP!" Ricky shouts, jumping back as he sees us. Caitlin and I explode into laughter, and I can feel my facial mask begin to crack all over. Ricky slowly sets down the food at the foot of the door and backs away. "I don't wanna know," he says, raising his hands and quickly walking away. "I don't wanna know."

Caitlin and I grip our sides, wailing from laughing so much. My tears start to soften the mask on my cheeks, and I grab the food and we go to wash our faces off.

"That was epic," Caitin says, splashing water on her face and toweling it off. "I think we gave him a heart attack."

"He must loooove us now," I say, still laughing at his reaction. When our faces are washed off and baby-butt smooth, we return to the bedroom and start to eat our sandwiches. Caitlin immediately stuffs hers into her mouth.

"Caitlin," I say, "Don't forget to breathe..."

She laughs as she tries to swallow her huge bite, coughing. "Don't make me choke!" she cries, whacking my arm. We spend the rest of the afternoon watching TV, finishing our lunch, and joking about how little the magazines really know about One Direction.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

A/N: Hope you enjoy the story so far! If you could leave me some feedback that would be awesome :) Stay tuned for chapter nine!

-Nina (Original Writer) (C.M is just posting the story!)