| forty-nine |

A/N: Please excuse spelling/grammatical errors.

Elias sat beside Ambrosia holding the small journal between his hands and dragging his finger across the textured cover.

Ambrosia shifted in her seat watching him, soaking in the changes that the two years had brought forth on his appearance. His body was slimmer and a short beard had settled on his face. Elias' eyes were wide blending into the somewhat permanent expression of aloofness but they struggled to remain focused.

"How have you been?" Ambrosia questioned softly to initiate more conversation.

"Okay," Elias hummed, "I missed you."

Ambrosia crossed her arms and sighed deeply as he looked up at her trying to read her body language. She couldn't speak up and only made a small noise of approval.

"Thank you for the journal, A-Ambrosia, they...they don't let me write much here," Elias stuttered slightly his left hand felt along a bandage on his wrist.

It was silent again.

"I'm sorry I never came to visit I just, I wasn't the same after the surgery," Ambrosia whispered.

Elias nodded and rubbed his nose before stretching out his gown, "The baby..."

"Didn't make it," Ambrosia interjected.

Elias winced and rested his head in his hands, "I'm sorry Ambrosia."

Ambrosia did not reply, she only looked around the garden that surrounded the gazebo hoping that she could keep down the rising feeling of grief but as Elias continued to speak of his mistakes she eventually sniffled away.

Elias' voice was cracked and dressed with tears he hiccuped as he rambled on about his actions. Finally, Ambrosia placed her hand on his shoulder to quiet him, instinctively they both pulled into a close embrace.

There was a warmness between that Ambrosia had longed to feel. Something that no one else could replicate. She squeezed him closer and Elias hesitantly place his hands on her back.

"I hate it here, being away from you," Elias whispered pulling himself away his tone lowering with his eyes.

Ambrosia pulled back and looked at him at first with a new sense of desire. The kind of desire that is brought forth between two people who have shared multiple heartfelt experiences. Elias was now staring at the side of her neck and Ambrosia suddenly touched her shoulder to pull her blouse's collar up realizing what he was seeing.

Elias looked away and released her from his arms returning back to his seat. His head tilted awkwardly to the side as his face flickered from confusion to a light frown. Ambrosia sat back down and leaned back pressing her lips together.

"Elias I-I've made some bad decisions these past years," Ambrosia stated, "It's been so hard to forget it all and I know that's not an excuse."

"I understand, Flower," Elias replied he reached for her hand.

Ambrosia nodded and gently enclosed her fingers with his, that nickname sent a shiver throughout her.

"And I know I'm not perfect, I know I've got issue but I can change...I can be normal for you, we can be together again-"

"And that would be amazing, if I wasn't dealing with my own problems as well, Elias," Ambrosia mumbled.

Elias stared back at her a flicker of pain crossed his features and Ambrosia felt his passion.

"I was going to a therapist but I stopped because I though it wasn't helping...but it was."

"Then you should go back."

"Yeah."

"I missed you so much," Elias repeated with more intensity, "It even hurts me to see you again."

Ambrosia understood this, "I missed you too, Elias. Can you wait for me, until I figure everything out."

Elias squeezed her hand and smiled weakly his eyes scanning the environment around them before asking.

"How long will I wait?"

Ambrosia checked her phone for the month, it was July.

"Give me until the end of the year, I'll visit as much as I can in between now and then, okay?" Ambrosia offered and to this Elias grinned his dark eyes shimmering with a child-like hope.

"Okay," he replied and nodded remembering something as he dove his hand into his pocket to pull out a medium-sized plastic bag.

Within the bag was a collection of dried flowers and Ambrosia took and held it close to her, she smiled. A simple smile that she had not felt on her face for so long.

"Thank you."

Elias nodded and stood up along with her as she collected her things. Eagerly Elias pulled her in again for another hug this time fully letting his arms circle her body and they rocked for a moment in the warmth of midday.

As Ambrosia walked back into the institution with the blonde woman who showed her in. She examined the small plastic bag. She found a new type of relief from her pain from this gift and after seconds of examining it she spotted a small paper folded.

She opened the bag and took out the paper to read it:

Now I see her.

Not mine though. She is beautiful.

But not as beautiful as mine.

Who is she, I do not know....but I will. Like a flower, she dances, her voice filled with songs.

But I will wait for mine. My beautiful flower.

How long must I wait?

—𝘌𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘴

| FIN |