| forty-six |

A/N: Please excuse spelling/grammatical errors.

Ambrosia found herself gasping pulling at the collar of her shirt to rid herself of the heat and allow herself to cough without paranoid restraint. Brianna had done exactly as she had promised and brought her to the hospital, towards the emergency center.

Ambrosia had begun to move involuntarily as Brianna ushered her into the hospital. The urgent voices around her molded into an all-encompassing rumble of commotion. The ache in her leg returned as she was placed onto the hospital bed the pain spread throughout her leg.

Ambrosia had lost the strength to keep her eyes open as a nurse stuck her with a needle. A dark sleep overtook her and amid her pains, she leaned her head back and knowingly or perhaps unknowingly she blacked out.

-

-

-

There was a cold breeze that fell along Ambrosia awakening her from a heavy sleep. the type of sleep that happened moderately late in the afternoon where you realize you've wasted more time then suspected. She awakened, feeling mummified and her entire injured leg stiff. Her sore eyes scanned the room, divided into two sections the other held a small sitting area where two figures sat discussing something.

One of the figures stood up and strode to her side leaning in, and Ambrosia's eyes seemed to finally focus onto the features of an elderly woman, Brianna.

"The doctor said you would be up soon," Brianna's soft but melancholy voice filled the space around them.

Ambrosia didn't feel like speaking, her throat was dry and she thought back as far as she could into the day. As she pondered her hand reached for a cup that had water and Brianna gladly helped her retrieve it to drink.

The second figure finally removed itself from its seat and came forward. The man was somewhat recognizable to Ambrosia, he was firmly built, strong jaw with a dark brown mustache filling the gap between his nose and upper lip. His eyes creased as he examined Ambrosia and she felt herself wanting to sink further back into the safety of her white pillows.

Brianna glanced at the man and Ambrosia had a strong sense of Deja Vu.

"Miss Hill, you've been unconscious for about 24 hours from after surgery procedure," the man began and rummaged in his pocket before continuing, "I would've waited longer for you to rest but my higher-ups are very demanding."

He pulled out a small black wallet and flipped it open he turned his had around to showcase a small badge acquainted with a golden star.

"I'm Agent Jackson, I work for the FBI and I wanted to ask you a few questions if you feel comfortable talking in this condition at this point."

Ambrosia's eyes widened and she squeezed the fleece blanket that covered her body. Glancing at Brianna she could see her slowly gather her purse and jacket as she watched the FBI agent pull out a notepad.

"You were working with the FBI?" Ambrosia said barely over a fleeting breath.

Brianna clutched her purse and tilted her head, her aged face was dripping with remorse.

"Yes, we-we were trying to help you and your family escape, Ambrosia."

Ambrosia looked back at the agent and she realized that he was the man that had dragged Elias away from her.

"Where is Elias?" Ambrosia asked suddenly pulling herself up from her pillow.

The agent attempted to slow her down with a gentle hand but the drowsy young woman slapped his hand aside.

"Elias is fine," he insisted to which Ambrosia groaned.

"You're lying he-he was bleeding where is he?"

Ambrosia's tirelessly voice grew louder and attracted the attention of the nurses who began moving Brianna out of the room.

"What did you do to him, where is he?!"

The agent put his things back into the depth of his coat and moved aside as the nurses came towards Ambrosia.

"You have to calm down, okay?"

One of the nurses told her sharply as she began filling up a needle. Ambrosia didn't understand why her blood was beginning to boil while all the faces in the room began to swirl around her and cause her heart to race in anxiousness.

She couldn't;t control all these rushing feelings inside of her as she fought back the nurses and screamed at the man who walked out of the room with Brianna. The needle was cleanly inserted into her arm and Ambrosia shuddered miserably as the nurses let her go.

She was sobbing pulling her blanket closer to her chest as all her nerves numbed themselves and softened into a relaxed state.

In the middle of her decline, Ambrosia placed her hand on her stomach and felt it eagerly. In hopes of comfort, but there was no comfort in the bloat of her stomach only another reminder of her emptiness.

The nurses soon left her alone in the seclusion of that hospital room and Ambrosia stared at the wall in front of her until her eyes cried for something to distract them. She sought after the remote and turned on the television.

Then she finally found it, slipping through all the channels she landed onto the news. After a few brief cover stories, the Hill residence in all its glory was displayed in ruins on the small pixelated screen. Faces of those who were from the ashes of the house flickered through the screen and Ambrosia saw her father.

Seeing his face widened the gaping hole in her soul, the black hole that had successfully devoured all of her hope of building back her family. The hole that solidified the fact her family values and history all bore the weight of her Grandmother's moral sin, drug distribution.

What was this moral sin? Although her Grandmother had struggled all her life almost starved herself and lived on her own accord to make her name big...was pushing drugs incorrect for her to do for the sake of saving her own life?

Ambrosia knew her father only wished to wash them clean of these transgressions. Ambrosia wondered what her father would have done with the house if he hadn't died. He would have probably sold it removed his name from it...is that what Ivy guessed too?

Ivy, an impressionable soul, lost in a vile world from so young. The anger of her personality stemming from the abuse against her, and not only that but the neglect of her only motherly figure...her sister, Ambrosia. What did Ivy want in life? She worked for Dante, she knew his trade and still did not suspect his backstabbing? What would she had done if their father had not gotten poisoned by Tania and Dante showed up?

Tania and her little friend, Mrs. Henway. Two women both oblivious to the lack of trust that surrounded them. Henway's son was against her as she tried to use him. Perhaps, if Elias wasn't so different he would have stopped everything, perhaps he would've been dead.

And what if Elias was dead?

What would Ambrosia do with herself?

With her baby.

Ambrosia pressed her hand on her underbelly and exhaled slowly.

She was sore.

-

-

-

-