| forty-three |

A/N: Will edit for spelling/grammatical errors.

Elias and Ambrosia sat inside the guest room silently as Brianna dressed Ambrosia's gunshot wound. Elias was chewing at his bottom lip, deep into his mind, Ambrosia figured.

"I'm really sorry about this inconvenience," Ambrosia whispered.

The older woman finished wrapping her with fresh bandage and grabbed the basin of water and washcloth that was left on the bedside table.

"The wound is still infected, that's why you are having feverish symptoms," Brianna sighed blinking as she paused, "you said you were pregnant, right?"

Ambrosia looked away and nodded slowly, "I am."

Brianna walked into the conjoined bathroom and set the objects inside the sink before walking back out infront of them.

"Today is a Friday, by Sunday you two need to go straight to the hospital and inform authorities."

Elias stirred in his seat from his distant stare and frowned.

"I don't think that would-"

Brianna held up her pale hand and waved it in a gesture that silenced him instantly. Her eyes were laying only on Ambrosia.

"If you stay here untreated the infection will kill the baby," Brianna's voice was hushed and serious. Ambrosia felt a strong discomfort in the air around them and she placed a hand on her stomach.

It's only a few months old...

"Brianna licked her lips in a tired state, "Have a good night now, if there is anything you need my room is on the other side of the dining room second door on the left."

Brianna exited the guest room with a generous smile and Elias sunk back into the chair he was in. Ambrosia curled up in the bed and pulled the covers over her shaken body. From her small bag she drew out Elias' old poetry journal and she rubbed her fingers across the water damaged pages.

"The minute we check in at the hospital our names will be in the system," Elias muttered running both hands back over his head.

"And?" Ambrosia prodded.

"That's gonna it make it ten times easier for them to find us and ten times harder for us to escape."

"I-I thought we burned everything, no one from the house alone can trace us even if they did escape."

"No Ambrosia," Elias sighed and stood up to tear the ragged clothes off his body,"this drug business doesn't stop with Dante...there are people above him who he reports too, and they know about us—about me."

Ambrosia watched Elias flex his back as his shirt came off and he rubbed the cuts with his hands.

"I'm going to shower," he mumbled grabbing a basket of toiletries Brianna had provided.

Ambrosia watched him leave to the bathroom and attempted to sleep.
Her mind denied her this right and she was only left listening to the droplets of water that thundered against Elias as he showered. It was about twenty minutes until she finally heard the squeak of the shower head and his wet footsteps within the bathroom.

Elias opened the door and a cloud of steam escaped him from behind him. Around his waist held a dainty white towel that didn't fail to mold against his strong lower body. He sat on the edge of the bed, his curly wet hair stretched straight from the water and was brushed back. His evenly toned arms flicked the water off onto the bed as he toweled the rest of himself off.

Ambrosia removed the covers from her legs and carefully moved closer behind him.She wrapped her arms around him and laid her hands on his chest her cheek pressed against his shoulder and she kissed him. So tenderly so Elias shivered.