THREE

“No one wants any trouble Hayley

    “No one wants any trouble Hayley. We just want the hybrid.” A vampire speaks up seeing as now there was a crowd in the compound.

    “Over my dead body.” Nikolina said threateningly, her eyes flashing yellow.

    “You're not Getting Henry" Lisina growled flashing her yellow eyes. 

    “Let me handle this.” Hayley said putting a hand out infront of the two.

    “Remember that, that hybrid is just a kid.” Josh says attempting to calm down the vampires before turning to the three Crescents,“But Poppy was just trying to walk home from work. And she was our friend.”

    “He's not going anywhere.” Lisina said in a low growl.

    “Hayley you might not have a choice.” Josh said softly.

    “We need be rational.” Hayley said calmly.

    “Should they go back and tell Poppy's mother her daughter's killer is free. But at least we were rational?” The vampire next to Josh said.

    “I don't care what you do. Just don't Bring Henry into this.” Nikolina snarled.

She felt protective over Henry. Sure what he did at the school was stupid but she knew he never wanted to kill Poppy. He was new to whole vampire thing.

    “Peace is complicated. We haven't had it all this time because we've been perfect. We've had it because we haven't overreacted when we're not.” Hayley said,“Revenge isn't Justice. Do we really wanna sacrifice a kid to assuage our fear?”

    “He's not a kid. He's a hybrid with the power to kill any vampire he chooses”

    “And your a blood sucker who I can kill with one bite" Nikolina said.

    “You're not helping Nikolina. I'm a hybrid. I'm not a threat to anyone and after I teach Henry self-control he won't be, either.” Hayley tries to reassure them,“Look every death is a tragedy. And I'm truly sorry for Poppy and her family. But we've evolved beyond an eye for and eye mentality. This is a test. Don't throw away all we've accomplished.”

It was later that night and Hope and Nikolina were not sitting down doing their homework.

    “Hey jailbirds. I got some news about me and keelin. Where's your mom?” Freya said walking over and sitting down.

    “I don't know. She said she'll only be gone a few minutes, but then she never came back.” Hope said looking around.

    “Where did she go?” Freya asks again.

    “Outside. To make a call.” Hope said.

    “She's probably with declan.” Nikolina said as she wrote an essay about the differences and similarities of vervain and wolfsbane.

    “Auntie Freya.” Hope said sitting up noticing the blood in the fountain.

Hope and Nikolina watched the fountain as Freya left to look around for Hayley.

    “Someone found this in the street”Freya said holding up their moms newly cracked phone before handing it to Nikolina. After a few seconds their dad started calling. Nikolina hesitantly slid her finger across the screen to answer it.

"Dad?" She asked in a confused and upset tone. The other line was silent. Nikolina assuming he was shocked to hear his daughter's voice.

    “I was looking for your mother.” he answered back.

    “Yeah, so are we. Um. I don't know where she is. She's missing.” The line was quiet before he finally spoke again.

    “I'm on my way.” he said before hanging up. Nikolina holding the phone to her ear for a few more moments.