Chapter TWENTY-ONE

Začít od začátku

I mask my face to show neutrality and walk back out into the bedroom.

James is now laying back with his head propped on pillows. He watches me through hooded eyes as I approach him. I sit next to him and place the cool cloth on his head.

"How was your meeting?"

"Everything went smoothly. Well the Alpha was a little late but other than that it went well. I think we're actually going to pull this off" I smile smugly and he chuckles.

"That's great Amber you've been working so hard for us and I for one appreciate it." Finally I receive a real smile. Although it's small its full of pride and revere.

"Thank you James we're having a little meet and greet this evening in the courtyard." I reach over to rub his forhead. He leans into my touch "You think you'll be up to attending"

"I think I'll skip it if that's ok" he averts his eyes and give a small cough.

I narrow my eyes at him. When was the last time you've heard of a werewolf becoming sick. Our immune systems are superior to that of human so we aren't as susceptible to most ailments. I don't push the subject though.

"Of course I'll just tell them you're resting up today, they'll understand. You've been working out like crazy lately."

"I need to be able protect you Amber. It's one of my greatest endeavors. I won't stop getting stronger." he gives me an earnest look and I have no doubt in my mind he means every word.

I smile at James with adoration and he smiles back. We sit for a moment in silence basking in our love.

"So what do you know of this new pack." he changes the subject and his eyes bore into mine intenly as if he is searching for something. I dont know what.

"Well their Alpha is William Caldwell. Well I guess I should say former alpha. One of the conditions of the merger is that Caldwell denounces his title to me. I decided to give them a week to adjust. Switching packs can be both emotional and trying. Im hoping to make this transition as smooth as possible. Anyway, his pack was attacked a few weeks back by that pack of rogues that have been causing trouble throughout the mid-west territories. They lost half of their members and most of their possessions in the attack. It can't be easy losing everything you know like that. I feel sorry for them"

A small growl echoes through the room. I look down at James confused. "What's wrong?"

"Don't" was his only response.

"Don't what?"

"Feel sorry for them I'm sure they deserved it." his tone is malicious and it makes me lean away from him.

I'm shocked at James's callous statement. James is literally the most kind and compassionate person I've ever met. I've never heard him say a bad thing about anyone, even Dallas.

"That's kinda cruel don't you think how could you say something like that?"

His face immediately soften "I'm sorry Amber that was an inappropriate thing to say."  Why do I feel like he's more sorry for upsetting me than what he said about the packs grievances.

"You know it's your fault I'm so irritable." he says giving me a sly teasing smile.

"How do you figure?"

"If it wasn't for the scent of your Heat driving me to insanity I would be alot calmer and nicer."

Heat? Well that explains why I've been so emotional. I've literally cried almost 3 times today and I never cry about anything. I sniff a little at my arm which makes James laugh.