Chapter TWENTY-FOUR

Dallas POV

"What was that for Dallas?" Amber fumes pacing the length of my bedroom over and over. Her movements are quick and percise like a beautiful caged predator.

"You were about to do something you were going to regret Amy. I had to get you out of there."

She suddenly stops and looks me dead in the eyes with a glint I can't identify "Oh believe me I wasn't going to regret it"

Whoa Okaay

There's something definitely going on with her.

"Why did you bring me up here?" she looks around the room suspiciously.

I approach her slowly. "Amy calm down. I know you're upset but I couldn't let the pack see their Alpha lose control."

Understanding dawns on her face. She walks over to my bed and takes a sit. "Shit you're right what the hell was I thinking losing it like that." She puts her head in her hands and lets out a deep sigh. She looks so defeated I've never seen her like this.

I move to sit next to her hoping my presence will help comfort her. She leans into me and I wrap my arm around her.

"He cut off our link"

"What?"

"James blocked me from his mind. I just tried reaching him and I got nothing. I hate this feeling it makes me feel alone and dismissed." her voice cracks towards the end.

That sound breaks my heart. I rub her arm and lean my head on top of hers "Amber we both know things aren't always as they seem. Maybe he's helping her with something. "

Apparently that is the wrong thing to say. She pulls away from me and glares "Don't give me that bullshit Dallas. I can think of about one reason to block a link. He's doing something he doesn't want me to know about. I bet I know what or rather who that is."

I shake my head, this doesn't make sense. I've seen the way James looks at Amber he worships her. Why would he cheat and with Brittany of all women.

Her fist are clenched together in her lap and I can see the rage begin to build again. I have to distract her.

"Amber-"

"No Dallas I refuse to keep giving him passes and excuses, next thing you know I'll walk in on him having sex with her and give the excuse that she tripped fell and landed on dick because is can't possibly be what it looks like. Not going to happen I'm not in denial."

I can't help the chuckle that leaves my lips. The imagery she presents is funny. Amber was always able to make me laugh.

"It's not funny Dallas" She insists even though I can see a small smile on her lips.

"You're right, you're right it's not but Amber they were just talking. I agree that they were pretty close even intimately so but that doesn't constitute an affair"

Her smile drops and a tear escape her eye, she quickly wipes it away. She say something under her breah that sounded like damn hormones.

"That's not all there is Dallas"

She goes on to tell me all of the things that's been happening between her and her mate and what she's observed between James and Brittany.

It's some pretty damning evidence when you combine it all. James definitely has a lot of explaining to do. She must see the resignation on my face because her face falls and her eyes well up with tears. Secretly I think she was hoping I talked her out of her conclusion.