8 - The Reveal

Soft morning sunlight shone through the small window at the top of the wall, right above my head. I groaned, fighting not to doze off again. I slowly sat up and took my phone off of my nightstand. Once I turned it on, I read the time, and it said seven ten. I widened my eyes. That gave me barely enough time to get dressed, eat breakfast, and get my things together! I shot out of my sheets like a bullet. I ran straight to my dresser, took some fresh clothes out of it, then ran down the stairs and to the bathroom.

The door squeaked with protest as I opened it. Man, Aunt Gretchen really needs to fix her doors, I thought as I flipped on the light. It pierced my vision as always, but my vision always readjusted. Closing the door, I stripped down to my skin. Thankfully, I took my shower last night, or else I would be having to walk. Well, on that note, I rarely even took the bus, so who cares.

I slipped on some new undies and put a pair of skinny dark blue ripped jeans over them. A turtleneck grey shirt covered up my bra, and, most importantly, my mark, which no one has seen. I meant to keep that a secret, but I accidentally said to Gale that I'd explain today. I widened my eyes in realization. I did tell him that. I bit my lip. Crud, what would I say?

I threw a silver chain necklace around my neck to complete my wear. I took my brush out of my drawer and went through my long auburn hair. I decided to leave it down today, just for fun. Fresh mascara covered my lashes, fresh minty teeth to smile at people, fresh scent so I wouldn't get that disgusted look. I think I was set. I headed down the stairs, where my aunt was yelling at me.

"You're going to miss the bus!" she nagged, then handed a plastic bag with a couple of waffles in it. "Don't forget your backpack and boots," she added. "I won't," I said, then grabbed my black-and-white bag, threw on a random pair of black knee-high boots, and rushed outside.

The air was crisp and refreshing, which was a sign of good weather for later in the day. I heard the sound of tires on asphalt as the bus neared me. I wasn't on the same bus anymore. The school found out that I wasn't on the same bus route anymore, so they switched me to a different one. I was going to meet my driver for the first time, so I hoped that he or she was nicer than Mrs. Fisk.

The bus screeched to a halt in front of me, and I happily climbed aboard. My driver was a tall, lean man, with dark hair and extremely blue eyes. He had slight scruff, and that made him look a little cute. He only looked to be about in his early twenties.

"Hello. I'm Mr. Knox. I hear you're my new bus student," he chuckled at the last part.

I nodded, trying not to blush, then turned down the isle. There were only a couple kids on it, not like the other one where there were loads of kids, mean kids. I took a seat somewhere in the back where I could look out the window.

The landscape went by in a blur, with a couple stops here and there, and in no time we were at the school. The bus didn't get very full at all, and I liked it. And I don't usually like bus rides. I hopped off of the vehicle and walked the front steps up to the glass double doors of the building.

Lockers lined the long, wide hallway, then branched off into seperate ones. Stairs in the center of the  corridor led up to the second floor where my one and only favorite class was, French ll. French was my favorite language to learn because my mom had spoken a little bit of French, but I wanted to learn the whole language, so I started taking the class last year.

"Audrey!"

I turned around to see Gale jogging towards me through the crowds of teens.

"Hi, Gale. What do you want?" I crossed my arms and turned my body to face him completely.

"Oh, I was just going off to my first class, but meet me during lunch at the end of Hall Z," he told me, then walked into a classroom that my back was facing. Hall Z? I thought. That's the scariest place in school! If you don't know the history of Hall Z, then here it is: