12 - Changes

"And Cutler passes the ball to Marshall...for a winning touchdown! What a catch!"

I could hear the crowd go crazy on the TV. Their screams blended with mine as the Chicago Bears won their fourth game of the season. 

"Gale, they won!" I yelled in his face.

"I know!" Gale slapped my palm in a high-five. I also high-fived Aunt Gretchen, too. My cousins were up in their shared room since they weren't football fans like us.

"I can't believe it!" the commentators said again into the camera. "The Chicago Bears have beaten the Minnesota Vikings!"

Gale had his shirt off and was twirling it through the air. He chanted "Chicago" as he ran around the room like a little boy. I just giggled at him.

When we had gotten back from talking with the Autobots, I had totally forgotten that a game was being played today. But now we were here, watching the end of the fourth quarter with our aunt. She hadn't bothered asking us why I was home from school early or why Gale was with me or how we got home when I didn't have a car that she knew of, she was too caught up in the pregame show.

Aunt Gretchen picked up the remote and clicked off the TV. "Okay, everybody, off to bed. Gale, it's time for you to head home."

I turned to Gale as he pulled me into a hug. "Do you need a ride home?" I whispered in his ear.

"That would be great," he murmured back, and he let go of my body.

I walked out of the front door and out into the dark night. Stars and streetlamps were the only light illuminating the dark surburban road. Houses identical to one another lined alongside it, with the occasional bright window.

"Are you sure you can take me? What will you tell Bumblebee?" Gale questioned behind me.

"It'll be fine," I assured. "You tell him where to go."

"I don't trust the robot, or, whatever it is," Gale huffed, but reluctantly followed me to the outside garage.

"Bee?" I said while I opened the door to the parking space. "You ready for a quick ride?"

"Ready when you are," Bumblebee said. I noticed that his voice wasn't like the others; he had to use the radio to speak.

I opened the driver's door and hopped in while Gale climbed in beside me. The garage door opened with a click of a button on the remote control that I was holding. I then stuck it on the sun visor's flap.

Bumblebee put the car in drive and quickly drove out onto the main road. "Where are we going?" the radio asked.

I turned to Gale and nodded at him. Gale had an uneasy expression on his face, but he proceeded to hesitantly tell Bumblebee where we were heading. Bumblebee responded by revving the engine.

After about five minutes of Gale politely and nervously correcting Bee on his directions, we parked in front of Gale's house. He got out on his side, and I got out on my side to say goodbye. I walked with him up to the front door, and that's when we stopped and looked at each other and stared into each other's eyes. Then he said something, breaking the silence.

"Until tomorrow?" he quietly asked.

"Until tomorrow," I confirmed.

Silence for a few more moments, until he grabbed the back of my head and pulled me in for a kiss.

Shock coursed through my limbs. My first kiss, and now my most recent. He kissed hard, but I kissed back even harder. Sensations filled my body, and I suddenly liked the feeling of kissing. I had never experienced it, and now I loved it.

We broke apart, us gasping for air. "Goodbye," he said.

"See you later." I smiled, then turned and walked back to my car.

Once I climbed in, Bumblebee started playing the radio. He was playing the chorus to "Woman in Love" by Barbra Streisand.

"Stop that!" I demanded, punching the radio. It abruptly cut off. "I get the point. And yes, I am in love with him. But I can tell he is also in love with me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I gasped as my eyes flew open. What woke me up? The darkness surrounded my room like a blanket, choking and thick. I waited a couple seconds for my eyes to adjust, but my muscles clenched as a spasm wracked my body.

I clapped a hand over my mouth to keep from screaming in pain. Why was my body spasming?

Another wave of pain hit my body harder this time, and I fell to the floor with a thud. I wrapped my arms around my stomach, which was now tensed with effort. As the pain ebbed away, I wondered to myself, What is happening to my body?

I climbed to my feet and slowly shuffled down the stairs and into the bathroom along the stairwell. As I closed the door and flipped on the light, another wave hit. The contractions just kept getting worse and worse.

I looked in the mirror after that wave went away. My face was red and sweaty, with my grey sports bra and my pj shorts covered in wetness as well. My hair was a mess; it looked like it hadn't been washed in days.

But I also noticed something else.

My stomach, arms and legs were...glowing light blue. I could see my bones every time the light flashed, and every time the light flashed, another convulsion would wrack my body, harder and harder each time.

Finally, after about what seemed fifteen minutes of unbearable pain, the spasms stopped. I was laying on the floor now, sweating bullets, and trying to catch my breath. I almost slipped on the smooth floor as I tried to stand up. My knees wobbling, I grasped the edge of the white sink counter, barely able to stand on my own.

As I looked into the mirror, I noticed my body wasn't glowing anymore, but something was different, something that made me gasp. I stood up all the way to see the whole thing.

Running down my arms and legs were muscles. Defined muscles. I mean, like body-builder muscles. Not that big, but they were big enough so you could see the curves in them. The same thing happened to my stomach, and a faint six-pack was visible. I stuck out a shaky finger to poke it, and it felt very taut and secure.

"What have I become?"