Episode 45: The Kansas Experiment

September 2014—Topeka, Kansas

"Boss— I mean, Doctor Brownback, may I confess something I believe has been bothering me lately?" Kansas asked during her checkup.

"If it's about your chest size, I'm sure they'll inflate into balloons in due time," the old doctor assured without batting an eye.

"I'm sure they will, but that's not the issue that has been on my mind." She rubbed her arm. "I think the injection you gave me last year isn't working. If anything, it's making me feel worse."

"Really?" He scratched his head. "Well, that's to be expected. Your body is still getting used to the drug. But eventually, you'll feel better than ever. So, trust me. It's working wonders for your body."

"I don't know. People keep saying it's not working, and I'm beginning to believe—"

"What you need is another shot of adrenaline to the heart!" He pulled out a syringe and stabbed it into her flat chest, knocking her breath away.

"D-Doctor... Ah..." She dropped like a sack of potatoes onto the floor.

"Oh my gosh!" A terrified nurse returning to the examination room screamed, "Doctor Brownback, what have you done?!"

"It's okay. The adrenaline is gonna upstart the heart of her economy." He loomed over the half-conscious girl. "Feel any better?"

"No... Not really..." she moaned in more pain than before.

"Doctor, she's losing a lot of blood," the nurse advised worryingly. "Also, I don't think the drug is working."

"Nonsense." He dismissed their comments. "The drug I prescribed is working as expected. Just wait and see. This is going perfectly according to my plan." He let out a lofty laugh while Kansas continued to lie on the ground, slowly dying from blood loss.

☆☆☆☆☆

In all seriousness, Kansas's economy wasn't getting any better ever since Governor Brownback signed a bill that significantly cut income taxes. Though it was nice to pay fewer taxes, the bill resulted in budget shortfalls by hundreds of millions of dollars. As a consequence, the state government couldn't properly fund social services such as public education.

"Boss, this isn't right," Kansas confessed as she followed her boss around the capitol building. "I know I'm broke, but I don't want to underfund public schools. After all, the success of my future can only happen by educating the next generation. There's gotta be a way for me to raise money for the children."

"Don't fret," he assured with confidence. "I know a great way to raise money for children's education. Look no further than here." He opened a door to a room full of unsavory things that sent the poor girl into cardiac arrest.

From front to back and top to bottom, the storage room was full of erotic pleasures that offended her Christian eyes. From where she stood, Kansas could see bottles of clear liquid, a stack of naughty DVDs, a crate full of phallic devices, a cardboard box full of round objects, a rack of transparent underwear, and a swing made of black leather hanging from the ceiling for some unknown reason. Frankly, she didn't know the names of these deviant items, nor did she ever want to know their names. But one thing was evident—the fear that came when she saw her boss pick up a box of smut without blinking an eye like this was normal.

"B-B-Boss!" she stammered with crimson cheeks. "What's all this?! Why's all this here?!"

"Recently, the government confiscated property from the owner of a series of adult stores for failing to pay his share in state taxes," he explained. "After considering the state of our budget, we agreed to help the owner raise enough money to pay his taxes by auctioning off his merchandise."