Episode 37: Better Days (Part 1)

Warning: This episode was originally published around the 4th of July in 2020. At that point, there were a lot of bad and tragic events that happened in the United States and around the world, some of which were ongoing when this episode was published. Normally, I wouldn't write about these topics due to their controversial nature. Some would argue these things wouldn't be appropriate to write about, especially for fanfiction.

But at some point, I decided to publish an episode that mentioned all the events that happened so far in 2020 on the aforementioned date. I had plans to write about these things eventually. However, I wasn't sure when it would be possible to publish this kind of episode since, well, there were six months of 2020 left to go. I long debated with myself whether there was an appropriate time to mention these topics. In the end, I decided to put my trust in readers and let them react to what I wrote.

If complaints regarding the controversial nature of the episode become too great, I'll remove the episode and replace it with another episode that hopefully won't be as controversial. Just know the purpose of this episode is to share a bunch of thoughts regarding everything that has happened in 2020. Thanks for understanding. You've been warned.

~

July 4, 2020—New York City, New York

"GOOD MORNING, NEW YORK!" America greets New York in the family room, his hands on his hips as he let out a laugh. "Guess what's today? It's— COUGH!" A shot of blood erupts from his mouth, sending the nation down on his knees to suffer another coughing fit.

"America!" New York steps away from his laptop, hurrying over to his side. "What are you thinking? You're supposed to stay in bed." He lifts him back up on his feet.

"I thought I was feeling better to move around normally," he chuckles weakly.

Upon setting the nation down on a couch, New York hands him a box of tissues to clean himself up. "Idiot. It'll take a few more months before we can recover from the recession." He also complains about the mess on the floor while the nation listens with saddened eyes.

"Sorry..." He wipes away the blood around his mouth and chin. "It's just... I'm sick of staying in bed, acting all weak and useless and shit. As the Hero, I should be out there helping people and saving the day..." He lowers his head to lament.

"... Hang in there, America." He gently pats him on the shoulder. "Let's get better together. For everyone." He forces a smile, encouraging the nation to lift his head.

"Yeah..." He nods with hopeful eyes. "Let's get better together."

Taking a few steps back to his laptop, New York suddenly stops in his tracks. "Oh. I'm forgetting something important. What's today again?" He pretends to sound oblivious.

With a funny laugh, America answers, "It's my birthday, dude!"

He smirks. "Oh, right. Happy birthday, America." He returns to his laptop to finish preparations for the party.

☆☆☆☆☆

"It'll take everyone a while to join the party," New York sets his laptop down on the coffee table, "but everyone should be here by tonight to watch the fireworks. At least, that's the original plan."

"That's okay. I know everyone is busy trying to get things back to normal." America wraps himself up in a pizza blanket, getting himself comfy on the couch.

He continues to work with Zoom, making sure everything is good to go. "Okay. I've sent the link. Now we wait for people to join us."

Exactly a minute later, South Carolina joins the party, greeting them in a loud voice, "Hey, America! New York! Looks like I'm the first to show up to the party! How are y'all doin'?"