Episode 5: Robinson Crusoe

February 1821—Corydon, Indiana

The weather outside frosty and white, Indiana stays inside her comfy farmhouse, spending her days doing boring paperwork for her boss until the grass turns green again. Life has been mundane ever since the War of 1812 ended in an underwhelming draw. She rarely gets visitors. The farmers are far too busy working to support their families to interact with her. As for her fellow states, they come by infrequently, and she'll usually ask them to leave once she has enough of their meddling. Not that she dislikes them. It's just the life she has made for herself feels more ideal. It's peaceful. It's ordinary. A quiet winter by herself is all she wants, nothing more.

But when a knock interrupts the tranquility of her household, she's forced to open the door and confront the trespasser. A tall lanky boy with smooth black hair stands before her a shivering wreck. Wearing only a simple buttoned shirt, brown trousers with suspenders, and a pair of tattered leather shoes, no wonder he's pale to the bone aside from his rosy cheeks. How he hasn't fallen over from the cold baffles her. He shouldn't be outside without proper clothing to combat the freezing weather. For that matter, he shouldn't be here at her doorstep. She doesn't recognize him as someone living in the area and considers turning him away.

The lanky boy slowly speaks through chattering teeth, "H-Hello-o, m-miss."

She narrows her eyes at him. "Are you the son of a farmer in the area?" She tries once more to recall his face from memory.

He shakes his head. "No, miss. I come from Spencer County."

"Spencer County? That's fifty miles west from here." She stares at his shabby clothes. "Is there something wrong? Where are your parents?"

"N-N-No, there's n-nothing wrong. And m-my parents are doing well b-back at the farm."

She closes the door slightly. "Then, why are you here? How do you know me? What is your-"

"I'm s-sorry, miss, but c-can I come inside and warm myself?" He rubs his arms to keep himself warm. "I promise to answer all your questions."

She glowers. "No. Go back to your farm, and don't bother me again." She shuts the door.

"W-Wait, wait, wait!" He frantically knocks on the door. "D-Don't be scared. I swear I c-come with good intentions. P-Please, hear me out."

His pleas bring a pitiful sigh out from her lips. "Who are you?" she asks.

His eyes brighten hearing her impassive voice. "My name is Abraham Lincoln though most people call me Abe. I come from an honest family. My father is a farmer and a carpenter. And my mother... My mother has taken good care of me and my sister, Sarah, as well as my cousin, Dennis, and her children. She's a wonderful mother, and I'm very fortunate to be raised by her.

I've recently turned twelve. And... I guess school is alright. And... I don't know what else to tell you." He sighs. "I know you and I have never met before. And I don't know a whole lot about you. But I promise I won't spread rumors or cause you any trouble. I'm a man of my word. So, if you want me gone, I'll leave without bothering you again..." 

Standing on her porch, he continues to wait in the shivering cold, hoping to hear her voice again. Sadly, it seems his words aren't enough to give him a chance. He looks back at the lonely road, dreading the long freezing trip back home. Hopefully, his mother and father don't give him too much trouble for his absence from the schoolhouse. It's not like he's learning much from-

"I hope you're a man of your word, little boy." Indiana appeared at a fully opened doorway.

He looks back at her with a glowing smile. "Little? We're about the same height," he chuckles.