Episode 12: Drop It Like It's Trot

Warning: This episode features animal cruelty concerning a peculiar event involving the harming of turkeys. Descriptions of this event aren't graphic, however, there's mild humor that mocks the event. In reality, the event is quite brutal. Overall, please understand this episode is meant to be informative; not persuasive. To anyone sensitive toward the subject, just know reading this episode is optional. You've been warned.

~

November 1912—Cuero, Texas

Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble!

"Whoa! Look at all those turkeys!" Minnesota and her fellow states awed at the huge spectacle surrounding the rural town's first turkey trot.

Typically, a turkey trot referred to a marathon foot-race among humans. But for Cuero—a tiny town that loved to take pride in their turkey industry—they took the turkey trot to the next level.

In an era without trucks to carry flocks of turkeys to market, Cuero ranchers continued the iconic turkey drive, herding as many as 10,000 turkeys on foot for several days across fields, roads, and rivers until they reached their final destination down the streets of the town. Quite often, their annual drives attracted visitors who came to town simply to watch thousands of turkeys make the tedious trip to the railroad line, a sight that was common across the United States until industrialization killed the tradition. It was baffling to see that much interest around these turkey drives, yet the business leaders of Cuero knew they could capitalize on the excitement for attention and profit.

Thus, Cuero held its first turkey trot—a turkey festival attended by 30,000 tourists who were treated to agriculture shows, big band dances, a carnival, a football game, parade floats with turkey feathers, the crowning of Turkey Trot royalty, and the main attraction—18,000 colorful turkeys trotting down Main Street.

Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Gobble!

"Hey. Where did you get that?" North Carolina pointed at the giant turkey leg Indiana was chewing on.

"This? I got it at one of the concession stands at the carnival. Want me to show you?"

"Absolutely!"

"Anyone else wanna join us?"

"I'm coming!" Missouri raised her hand.

"I wish I could join, but Texas told me to meet her on stage by noon," Minnesota said apologetically.

"Don't worry. Arkansas can take you there while I buy you a turkey leg," said Indiana.

"What?" Arkansas cocked his head at her. "Why me?"

"We'll meet back with you later! Have fun!" Missouri and the others walked off into the crowd.

"Wait! Y'all didn't answer my question!"