Small yet deadly. He thought with a smile. He stroked her hair. That's my girl.

"This. Sucks." Alex said, angry at being sick. "I think this is karma for killing five people."

"Why?" Sherlock asked.

"Because I feel like I'm dying!" Alex said. 

"Don't be silly, dear." Sherlock said. "It's just a small cold."

"No, nope, I'm gonna die." Alex said.

"You are being silly." Sherlock said, kissing her on the cheek. 

"No I'm not." Alex said. "Keep Vanessa away from me. I don't want to get her sick." 

"I think she's watching T.V. in the living room. That should keep her occupied." Sherlock said.

"I hope you're right." Alex said. She sneezed. "Why is it always me?"

"I don't know." Sherlock said, guessing he should just go along with what Alex was saying. "You want to eat something?" 

"No." Alex shook her head. "My throat hurts too much."

"All right, well can you drink something else?" Sherlock asked. "I don't want you getting dehydrated."

"Maybe." Alex said.

"I'll go get you some fresh water." Sherlock said. "Lay back."

Alex obeyed as Sherlock left the room. Rusty looked bored out of his mind, even with Vanessa to play with. He saw Sherlock and his ears perked up. He went up to him and held up his leash as Sherlock was getting Alex her water and a little bit of food just in case. 

"No, Rusty." He said. "No walk today."

Rusty dropped his leash and then went to go get one of his toys. He brought it over to Sherlock and play bowed, wagging his tail. He tried to put his toy in Sherlock's hand, and Sherlock pushed his muzzle away. 

"No, Rusty!" Sherlock said. Rusty jumped up and knocked the plate and glass of water out of Sherlock's hands. He then grabbed Sherlock's shirt in his teeth and pulled on it, growling playfully. "Drop it, Rusty! Drop it!" Sherlock hit the dog lightly on the muzzle, enough to surprise him, but not enough to hurt him.

Rusty backed up, surprised. He slunked back to Vanessa. Alex had crept out of the bedroom to see what had happened. She had a tissue held up to her nose.

"What happened?" She asked.

"The stupid dog happened." Sherlock said, picking up the pieces of shattered glass. "He was trying to get me to play with him and then he knocked the dishes out of my hands and ruined my suit jacket."

"Buddy, uncool." Alex said, turning to Rusty. 

"Really, that's it?" Sherlock said.

"What do you want me to do?" Alex said. "Ground him? He's a friggen dog, Sherlock."

"You win." Sherlock sighed. "Go back to bed. I'll be back in a minute or two."

"Okay." Alex said. She went back to the bedroom and flopped down. 

Sherlock made her a small lunch again and got her another cup of water after discarding the broken shards of glass. He went back in the bedroom with her. He helped her sit up and gave her the water. Alex drank it slowly and ate half of the sandwhich Sherlock had made her. She then laid back down, Sherlock holding her in his arms.

"Go to sleep, dear." He said. "If I'm not here when you wake up, call my name." 

"Okay." Alex whispered. She cuddled closer to Sherlock and fell asleep.

When Alex woke up, Sherlock wasn't beside her. He was probably keeping Vanessa occupied. She sat up and tried to call out his name, but her voice was terribly horse and croaky. She could barely get it out without bringing herself pain. She sat up and gaped at the sight that greeted her. Rusty was on top of the shelf where she and Sherlock kept the T.V. in their room.

"Sherlock." She called as loud as she could. He didn't come in. Alex gathered her strength and called his name louder. "Sherlock!"

She heard Sherlock's footsteps around the flat stop and come running towards their room. Alex pointed at their dog. Sherlock's jaw dropped open.

"How did you get up there?" He asked quietly.

"How long has he been up there?" Alex asked herself as Sherlock picked the dog up and set him down on the floor. He then sat at Alex's side and smiled at her. He kissed her on the forehead.

"How are you feeling? Any better?" He asked.

"I feel like I've been hit in the face with a hardcover copy of Harry Potter." Alex croaked out.

"Really?" Sherlock asked. "I'm calling John again."

"Again?" Alex whispered.

"Yes." Sherlock said, hitting John's number in his phone.

"What, Sherlock?" John said, annoyed.

"She says she feels like she's been hit in the face with a hardcover copy of Harry Potter." Sherlock said. "What should I do?"

"Stop. Calling. Me." John said. "You keep waking Lexi up. Alex will be fine. Just give her soup and water. Keep her hydrated. Don't call me anymore today."

"Okay..." Sherlock said, slightly hurt.

"Goodbye." John said, hanging up.

Sherlock turned to Alex and smoothed her hair. She coughed, hacking up flem caught in her throat as she did so. Sherlock rubbed her back. Alex flopped back down on the pillows. Sherlock smiled at her. 

"Don't worry. You'll get better soon, I just know it." He whispered.

"Don't talk to me like I'm dying." Alex said, smiling as she playfully shoved him. She then looked worried. "I'm not dying, am I? You would have known by now."

"Calm down. You're not dying." Sherlock said. "I'm just trying to be encouraging."

"Oh. Okay." Alex said. "Can I have some medicine?"

"Sure." Sherlock said. He went into the kitchen and got Alex some medication. He gave it to her. "This will make you feel drowsy, which is good since it's the evening." 

"Okay." Alex said. "I'll just go to bed then."

"Do you want me in here or not? Vanessa is asleep." Sherlock said.

"If you could stay, that would be marvelous." Alex said. 

"All right then. I will stay." Sherlock said. 

He got under the covers with his wife and held her close to him. She fell asleep listening to him talk to her. When she did fall asleep, Sherlock grew silent. He didn't dare move for fear of waking Alex up. The best remedy for her right now was sleep and Sherlock planned to let her have as much of it as she needed.