Chapter 19 : Comforting Quinn

Quinn

The dusty blood tinged air mixes with the potent sting of bleach. The house is quiet and the atmosphere tense, save for Dekka's steady heartbeat. Lost in the rhythmic pitter patter, my mind floats away as if it were a spray of dandelion seeds.

The thud sounds in my ears. While my mind starts going through the frames of today's events like a reel of film. Each frame brands itself into my brain.

1. The soft squeal of the knife as steel buried it's way into flesh.

2. The spray of blood that followed his very human grunts of pain.

3. The gurgle of blood pooling from his lips.

4. His eyelids drooping closed, leaving his face in a state of, well, dead.

What to do with him before he inevitably came back to life, was all reduced to one simple fact. He was a keeper. An immortal.

Odin, the seemingly dim witted one of the bunch, drafted an idea. To his conclusion, we should go all over budgeted vampire movie on his corpse. For all of the time "Flynn" wasted, I didn't completely disagree. Until it came to Dekka.

Having never felt any particularly fuzzy feelings towards life forms in general, caring about them is seemingly difficult. Yet, Dekka presents herself as this snarky, spit fire, resourceful, Ace loving creature, and it scares the hell out of me. Out of mad respect alone, I questioned if she truly wanted him the forever and gone kind of dead. There has to be some correlation between their looks. People don't just look that much alike and happen to both be keepers by chance.

Stowing his body in Willow's green house, was the only compromise everyone was willing to take.

Taking up a perch on one of the velvet sofas, I make it my job to watch over the keeper. An immortal who sleeps, I'm going to have to strike up a conversation about that later. As I make a sorry attempt to sort out the pieces of today's events. To think, I woke up a vampire only hours ago, isn't possible. None of it is.

The doors woosh open, groaning on their hinges. Sending a draft of crisp night air throughout the room.

Flickering my gaze from Dekka, I assess the posing threat. Harper stands on the threshold, pure rage glistening in her eyes.

Taking a defensive stance, I angle myself in front of the keeper.

A growl rumbles deep in her throat as I take in her blood streaked face.

"Seriously, I'm in no position to go after her?" Her tone oozes her annoyance.

"How can I be sure? You clearly had no trouble getting the first one." I nod to her unrecognizable clothes, looking nothing like they did earlier.

"Like you are one to judge. Defending the same helpless person you killed earlier."
It's a low blow aimed to sting and this time it does. Being the coward that I am, I steer my eyes as far away as possible from her bloodied profile.

"Bleach?" Her quizzical amusement is short lived as her eyes fill with terror. "I missed the distress call." Comfort, am I supposed to comfort her? I can hardly hold a steady conversation.

Dropping the warrior like stance I creep closer to her.

"I'd like to say we have it under control, but I'd be lying." Yes! I spoke to a human. Wait, she's not human. Well, speaking was an accomplishment.

Cursing, she turns to me with a haunted look on her face.

"We got it sorted out, for the most part. The threat is contained and the hardest part is over." This seems to ease the tension in her shoulders a bit. Dang, I'm not half bad at this.

"Quinn, where are the others?" Her question hits my head and bounces off. My attention fully on the keeper now.

Sitting up, Dekka's yawn is accompanied by a cat like stretch. Rooted to the floor, I do nothing but watch as the keepers eyes adjust, landing on Harper.

"What horror movie are you from?" She sputters at Harper, as her eyes slide closed slumping into the velvet cushions...