Chapter 37 : Fighting Fate

Ace

My breath catches in my throat as my elbows find their home resting on my knees. Looking up, Dekka sits before a man at a grand desk clutching a cup of coffee. Due to our commotion coming through the door, he's wearing more coffee than the cup is. He does not look pleased, he must be Headmaster Stoakly.

Dekka wears a thick frown, but I don't miss the twinkle of amusement in her eyes. She's trying very hard to look composed and annoyed. I really want to laugh because then she would for sure loose her composure.

My five seconds of rest ends when Ray plows me over. With a power hungry demeanor, his fists demand to be listened to. He's a force to be reckoned with now that I don't have vampire speed and strength on my side.

Dang it.

Reaching out for Ray's ankles, I let him assault my back thinking that he's close to a victory. Instead of grabbing his ankles, my fingers find the backs of hes knees, this is going to have to work. Playing my cheap trick, I sink my fingers into the backs of his knees, earning me a loud yelp in return.

As I fight to gain some more purchase over Ray, footstep frantically lead themselves out of the room. Another set of hands reach me, arms snaking under and around my shoulders. Dekkas grip is gentle as she pulls me free from a very rabid Ray. If he starts frothing at the mouth, I'm not sure I can even find it in me to be surprised at this point.

Materializing with me in tow, Dekka guides me onto Stoaklys office chair. After that she appears directly in front of Ray, leaving me behind. I really don't think I should be sitting here.

Resting my hands on the seat to get up, my arms fight with a magnetic like strength pulling me further into the chair. Really Dekka, how many special abilities does this girl have? 

Unable to move, I turn my gaze on their brawl. They slide past each other in languid movements, touching each other by mere inches.

From the seems of it, Dekka must be manipulating the air to her favor, causing Ray to sway. On the bright side, it doesn't seem as if Ray has any special abilities hidden up his sleeve. Leaving only their fists.

The first punch sounds with a deafening crunch sending Dekka spinning. Clenching my jaw, I will Stoakly to come back.

What is taking him so long?

Foolishly attempting to pull myself off of my chair, I peek over to see the progress of the fight. Blood slides down Dekkas face decorating her pale features. Her icy blue eye hold a stark contrast with the crimson red of both hers and Ray's blood.

The dancing of feet and fists continues as Dekka fights for dominance. The next few blows pepper Ray in various places causing him to loose his breath turing his tan complexion pink. Physically drained from fighting, the next blow lands on her shoulder with a crack. Stumbling backwards, her hold on me is lost.

Rushing over the the scene, I go to give Ray a piece of my mind. Giving up, he holds up his hands in surrender.

"What is this about?"

"I'm fighting for my rightful place." His anger is strong yet his body looks weak as his muscles fight to keep him upright.

" Seriously?"

"Your not supposed to be here and neither is she. I was so close. I was going to have it all once she got back."

Wait what?

"What in the fates are you even talking about?" I question.

"See, you talk just like her. I was going to be a true collector and she was supposed to be mine."

Seriously, he wants to do this. From her place on the floor Dekka mumbles to both of us.

"Not again. Give it up Ray."

At least she's still herself. Reaching out to help her up, she all but collapses against me. Leaning against me, I feel her heart fluttering violently against mine.

Ray shakes his head preparing to speak but closes his mouth at the last second. Good, I didn't want to hear it.

The three of us stand staring at each other as the wooden doors creak open. A very winded Stoakly finds his way into the room with a few others in tow.

Distractedly, the headmaster begins violently tapping numbers on his desk phone.

Meanwhile his helpers work on our fresh wounds. Beckoned over by Stoakly, the three of us go to stand to face him in front of his desk.

Ray shuffles over beside us, waiting for Stoaklys new proclamation.

"Are you guys okay?" He asks both Dekka and I.

"We will be." She says. "We're both done here, now may I be excused?" She asks, her question thick with sarcasm.

"Yes, I just have a few thinks to send with you." He dismisses her sarcasm, too tired to care.

"Oh, I'm doing fantastic over here." Pouts Ray.

"I'll be talking to you later." Stoakly states.

Minding my own business, I take step back as another memory washes over me. My green eyed mom clutches my chubby hand as we roam through the tight aisles of the grocery store.

"Ace." She had said my name in her trilling soft voice.

"Yes ma?" I remeber asking her. I had to turn my eyes skyward just to see her, getting terribly blinded by the harsh lighting.

"You've been extra good this week, how about we get a treat?"

I remember the way excitement and anticipation bubbled in my belly.

I feel the same anticipation now as I'm caught off guard by my body careening into the desk, knocking over the coffee cup amongst other office supplies.

Trying to save myself is a waste of my effort. My body continues to sail across the room in one continuous motion.

Smacking up against the grand glass window, I sigh a breath of relief against the glass, lightly fogging it. My moment is short lived as the window gives beneath my body weight, crackling all at once.

The last sounds I hear are Dekka's screams while I screw my eyes shut bracing myself.