Chapter 27 : Kissing Death

Ace

Even when she's asleep she looks like a warrior about to defend a mid evil castle. A hero that doesn't exist in this world, yet I find myself looking her right in the eyes. Eyes that slumped shut seconds before I finished my sentence.

I like you. Three simple words that are plain enough for just about anyone to comprehend and I couldn't even get that far.

Looking down, I watch the steady rise and fall of her chest. Still donning my white tee shirt, I feel the hint of a smile tugging at my lips even though I don't deserve to smile. I don't deserve to have these feelings about her, yet I'm not sorry about the way I feel. The only remorse I have is for my actions.

A tingling feeling snakes it's way from my elbows to my shoulders, resting at the base of my neck.

It can't be, I didn't even do anything. Shrugging off my flannel, in a blink I find myself standing on the other side of the room.

"Ace?"

Whipping my head twards the door, I catch Alma standing there. I didn't even hear her.
I should have heard her.

"Do that again."
My voice sounds just as confused as I feel.

"Do what?"
This time her voice wobbles, holding a bit of worry.

"Come back into the room, really quietly."

"Ace... Is everything alright."

I'm scaring her. Alma doesn't get scared.

I toss her a pleading look to wich she obliges.

Turing around, I wait to hear the distinct sounds of leaving. The brush of a skirt, the clink of a door, or the swish of her long hair, but instead I hear nothing. We have bigger things to worry about, but this doesn't feel right.

"Ace?"
Again she says my name like it's a question and again I begin to question everything.

"I couldn't hear you just now, or the time before."

"With our hearing it's as natural as breathing."

All I can do is nodd my head. Now it's her turn to look puzzled as she runs her fingers through her pink veined bangs.

"What were you doing before I came in?"
Detective Alma on the case.

"I felt my arms tingle like-"

"The tingling you feel when our skin turns white. Visual progress."

I send another nod in her direction.

"Can I see?"

Walking over to her, I remember what it was like to feel my breath catch in my throat. Right now in this moment of hesitation, I miss the feeling of being breathless.

Her slender fingers examine my arms in small hesitant motions. A ticking noise sounds in the back of her throat as her fingers pull back the collar of my shirt.

"Ace, you're all white!"
Her words are very un-Alma like as a grin that came out of nowhere shatters her cold demeanor.