Chapter 26 : Dead Desmond

Dekka

Being immortal certainly has its perks, yet, I want more. I didn't truly find out what a keeper was until I became one, so what is it to be a collector. I'm currently doing supernatural dirty work, work meant to make the disarray of this world less messy.

Fates, isn't that the bare bones version of the definition of a cult?

The movie reel of thoughts goes blank as I stop to listen to the silence that envelopes me.

Not as gifted as a vampire, but a close second, I reach out for any signs of noise coming from the rest of the house.

Silence, nobody's inside?

It's at that moment that I fully remember.

Des.

Flying Fates.

Instinctively my fingers fly to the base of my throat. Expecting them to be bloody, I hesitantly lower them into my line of sight.

The fingers that rest before me are clean, free of the gore I was expecting.

Within a matter of seconds my body de-materializes from it's place on the bed and re-materializes in front of the mirror.
My neck is unscathed and just as smooth and creamy as porcelain.

Sometimes it's an effortless mistake to forget the difference, that I'm not as alive as I used to be.

Holding my stance in front of the mirror, I take notice in the outfit that Willow must have put me in. The white tee shirt hangs loose and smells distinctly male. Pushing my nose under the collar of the shirt, taking in a whiff I inhale in the secent cloying to the worn cotton. The musk of spices and manufactured bliss is a momentary mask from the murky reality I'll eventually have to face.

With the shirt clutched between my fingers and my bare toes curling in the plush carpet, I feel like I could get used to comfortable living. I never aloud myself to imagine living a life so at ease, for it would have made reality more uneasy than it needed to be.

Seconds go by and I wait for disaster to strike.

Nothing.

This can't be right, my luck is beyond the easy stillness that currently greets the house.

Then I feel it, the disaster.

Unlike the presence of a vampire, you can feel the artificial life of a keeper and when something happens to them, you can feel it too and that's exactly what I feel.

The loss of a keeper.

Des.

Desmond.

My twin brother.

Without any outside confirmation, I can feel the shift in the air as if it too knows that he's gone.

I shouldn't be surprised, I knew it would come to this. His behavior had been a loose cannon since he bargained with his fate shortly after I wrestled with mine. They could have killed him sooner, I honestly thought that they would. Yet they didn't.