Chapter 31 : October Burial

Alma

Gathered in the sitting room, we all surround each other in an attempt to keep each other company under the glow of the flickering candles.

Still undecided on a name for the others, minutes before we watched them all leave, except for Bo. His raspy voice a sign of his decaying, making it difficult for us to forget.
I thought for sure he was their "leader" or at least a substitute to the original. It turns out, he wasn't built to substitute teach. According to Willow, he had nothing to do with Odins death. The others attacked him.

My mind replayed Dekkas earlier proclamation. "I didn't tell you because I didn't want to cause problems, but you can only be killed by another vampire." 

Beyond the point of surprise, we all took the news with blank faces, except for Quinn, who began peppering her with his mad scientist like questions. While we all should have been furious, my minds currently preoccupied with Odins death. He was alive, or as alive as we currently are and now he's gone.

What about his family? Did he even have a loving family? Did they clash often? Did they get upset about his bleach blond hair? Did he ask first?

There is so much I'll never know about him. Thinking about my own colored hair, I try to imagine what his experience was like, but I come up short on ideas.

Jett's soft hands connect with mine as he folds them together. Shifting my thoughts, I focus on the feeling of his fingers wrapping around my own.

"He is one of us-" He stops short upon looking at my face.

Although I can't see my own reaction, he seems just as shocked as I am that I actually had one.

"What?"

"You used the present tense. Not he was, but instead he is. Odin isn't hour old news to you. I-I- don't know what to say to that." My thoughts surface like a random blurb of text.

"Umm, bad speechless?" He asks meekly.

"No, the good kind."

I make sure to send him my strongest smile. With the slightest curl of my lips, he returns the gesture. Joined together, we both watch Ace and Quinn level their shovels to the ground. Sitting beside them, Willow protectively rests her head against Odins new home protectively.

Looking at Willow sends waves of empathy through me, but looking at Dekka, I feel a world of pain for her.

Her pacing concerns me as she takes step after booted step through the grass.

Dekka

The crisp chill of the late night October air is a present reminder that I'm alive. Alive enough to feel the winds, the sun and even the heat. All thanks to Des.

Lowering Oidns body into the ground was the harsh awakening that I needed, yet didn't want to feel. Both of them are gone, swept away from my life like stale crumbs brushed away by a broom. All of this loss is happening startlingly fast and I can't even begin to control a second of it.

"Hey, it's getting late, maybe we should get you inside soon."

Without looking up at him, I let him plop down next to me without any grace at all. How didn't I hear him? He has the volume control of a circus elephant.