Chapter 18 : Scented Secrets

Odin

The air holds the same twang of decay as it did earlier. Except, this time the scent seems to have traveled throughout the house.

Dismissing a deadly stare from Quinn, I creep closer to the body. Daring to peer into those glossy eyes. An arm shoots out in front of me, deturring me from making contact with Dekka's doppelganger.

Looking down at the arm, I know before I even look into her eyes, that she isn't someone to interfere with. I make it a point to lock her stare as I take one, two, three, steps back. Satisfied, she faces me directly.

"He's familiar, isn't he?" Willow's tone is too calm for my comfort.

The smell, the rancid decaying smell. The others couldn't know about that, could they? They'd all left the room before I'd picked up the scent. So they don't know, huh?

"The smell." The words leave my mouth raspy and unsure. Alma pipes in this time, fishing for clues.

"I'm sure we can all smell it, its coming from him." Working together is no longer an option, it's a survival skill. Turing to the entire group, I tell them what I know.

"I was the last one in the room with Harper, Dekka, and Flynn. I smelled the scent then too. Only that time, it was subtle." Something I said influenced all of their expressions. Ace jumps in this time.

"Flynn, he had a name? How come we didn't know about this?" The first question is easily answerable. The second question however, not so much.

"I lingered behind the door before I left. I heard them mention his name."

"Wait, what if he's the same person? His clothes are familiar, what if this is actually Flynn." Willow's thought is the most coherent one all day, I think she's on to something.

"That still doesn't awnser why his appearance changed. He doesn't even look like a vampire anymore." My question settles amongst them.

"He was wearing Harper's pin." Says Alma.

The blood spattered crown. On que, Willow and I both reach for the pin as I work quickly to unfasten it. Handing her the pin to examine it, she smiles faintly.

"Ever the gentlemen, Odin." In that moment, I find myself smiling back. Ace picks up where we left off as our moment officially ends.

"Willow, when you cleaned Dekka's wounds up after she died, you mentioned that it was useless, because she was already dead." Ace states.

"It seemed so at the time." Willow replied. Ace is on to something but what, that has nothing to do with this body?

"Not long after you left, she came back to life." Come on, Ace. He sounds like a paranoid boyfriend.

"She's immortal." Alma adds, another piece that belongs to a separate puzzle. Raising my voice, I demand to be heard.

"BUT SHE DIED!" I scream. Ace begins to pace violently, keeping up with each retort and string of information.

"She came back because she was immortal, yet treating her wounds must have sped up her body's process of coming back." Somehow what Ace pieced together makes sense, but why mention it now?

Willow and Ace probably have the same manic deductive reasoning magic, because they both turn to each other. A gleam in each of their eyes.

"He's a KEEPER!" Ace and Willow practically scream, in unison.

"Well that explains everything." Says Willow, as we turn to face her and the body.

The body that has just begun to sit up, pushing his blond curls from his eyes. Yet I still feel as if nothing has been explained...

 Yet I still feel as if nothing has been explained