Chapter 39 : Security Guard

Ace

The sound of my pin thumping against the desk echoes in my ears. The sound waves torture me by coming in shrills and deeper tones. Instinctively, I will my fingers not to claw at my ears like a child with an ear infection would.

"Ahh, you'll have that." Stoakly says seemingly unsurprised.

The bloody ax pin looks at odds with the rest of the room. He must had had someone move me into one of the schools dorms after my fall, but how? I guess the how of it all isn't really important with the headmaster sitting before me at an impossibly small desk. All while I lounge in the tiny low sitting bed that rests against the main wall.

Dekka must have had a room similar to this one at one point. I wonder if she decorated hers, or left it blank out of distain for the entire situation. Knowing her, I can't imagine she'd be okay with a living space this bland.

Speaking of Dekka, where is she?

Is she okay?

All I remember from the moment I fell leading up to now was the pressure of the glass breaking beneath me.

Sensing my panic, Stoakly pushes me back down as I once again attempt to rise from the slouched mattress. Straightening himself into a more dignified matter, Stoakly prepares another award winning speech that I wish Dekka would spare me from.

"She's gone, like the rest of us, she thought that you died." His faces radiates a level of smugness I wasn't sure was possible.

"But, that's not possible. I didn't make a deal with my fate, I wasn't dead."

Chuckling loudly, he continues on. "Well, you're correct to a degree, but Ace, you really did die. This time, I was the one making the deal with fate."

Oh come on, seriously fate? Why do you treat me like this?

"What's the catch? Huh, am I an indentured servant to you?"

"I'm sending you back with a few orders. You are to keep an eye on Dekka. Protect her, keep an eye on her by any means, etc."

"Seriously! That's what I do on a normal basis and since when do you care?"

Holding his hands up, the air flickers around us. The feeling of electricity buzzes over my skin tightening like a net around me.

"I'm connected to you now aren't I?"

He nods slowly, clasping his hands under his chin while propping his elbows up on his knees. He definitely has the headmaster look down to a science. "Yes. I need to ensure that she's safe and this was the best opportunity."

"Fine." I say throwing my hands up in the air for emphasis. "You don't need to be deceitful about it! You could have just came up to me and asked me go keep an eye on her. Our conversation could have gone like this 'Hey Ace, could you keep an eye on Dekka for me?' and then I probably would have said something like this, 'Sure sir, I'd be glad to' and that would have been that."
Winded, I heave out a breath to put emphasis on how irritated I am.

"This is why I did it, I like you kid."

"Why do you want me to become her security guard?"

"Because Ace, she's my daughter."

"She going to freak out when she finds out about this."

"Well Ace, she won't be finding out about this." He says, slowly stepping closer and closer to to bed until he hovers over me.

"Its time for you to leave, Security gaurd Ace." His words are followed by a cackling laugh.

It's going to be a long ride home.