Chapter 15 : Happy Hunting

Harper

The distress call rings through my head, vibrating against my teeth.

My wit urges me to crawl back to the group, but my primal vampire instincts kick in, taking over completely.

I can no longer identify the trail around me. The only distinctions are the scents radiating off of every surface.

My nostrils flare as the scents hit my nose in rapid succession.

Amongst the faint rush of a current, I can both hear and smell a stream.

Another sniff locates a squirrel.

Further, I catch the scent of a deer.

A burning sensation that I wasn't aware was possible, crawls up my throat threatening to tear through. The blood lust burns through my veins, showing no mercy for anything that crosses it's path.

My scleras are taken over by the jet black disks that are now my eyes. Leaving only two empty black pools in their place.

My throat tightens with the effort of restraint. With the stealth of a deadly predator, I scout out my prey.

My legs are swift and smooth, taking me across the the trail and into the woods with a flight like agility.

Soaring through the trees, I pounce only mere feet away from my target. Sending my heavy braids flying.

Quick. The deer's life will end so quickly, it won't even sense me until too late.

My silent steps take me closer and closer to the deer, taunting my ever growing thirst. Running my fingers down the fur coat of the deer's neck, I can feel my canines morphing into razor like fangs.

Sinking past the first layer of soft fur covered flesh, my teeth burst through veins, striking gold.

The rich warmth of blood floods through my mouth, coating my tongue. The once living creature slumps beneath me, as I finish the task of draining it.

The fire in my throat has been tamed to an irritating itch, as I wipe the blood running down my chin with the cuffs of my selves.

Readying myself to finish my food, a rich irresistible scent beckons me. Urging me to taste the richness it has to offer.

I mindlessly follow my vampires intuition, a slave to my new body.

Sprinting through the trees, I weave on and off of the trail. Making it a game to pick up the most scents possible.

Charmed by the smell flooding my every instinct, I find the now sharp world blurring, softening the edges.

The haze consumes every ounce of my personality, leaving the husk of a girl with the ferality of a beast.

Prowling towards my second set of prey, I crouch watching the creatures last moments.

It's heart beats, thundering in it's body like an engine, begging to be shut off.

Deeming the creatures time up, I strike just as the sun glints off of the creatures red fur painting the trees in gold.

A stunning tragedy.

A still breathing creature.

A soldier taking orders from thirst.

Seizing my chance, my fingers close around it's neck. Clamping down tight enough to snap a few bones, slowing down it's struggle.

Puncturing soft flesh, the blood trickles down my throat. Putting the rich blood to shame with it's velvety texture. Tasting of only the finest spices.

The itch from deep inside has vanished. Leaving a heavy bloated feeling as my full stomach sloshes with blood.

The creatures blood.

My clarity comes back in full force, pushing it's entire weight on my shoulders.

Her blood.

I feel sick to my stomach.

A humans blood.

Taking a closer look at the damage I've done, I peer down at her.

She couldn't be a day older than sixteen, fifteen if she held the burden of an aged look.

Her red hair is mated with blood. Soaking the collar of her vest and splattering her hiking boots.

I just cold blooded murdered another human being. Except, that's not possible, because I'm not human.

Ashamed, I look down at my blood stained hands.

Now what do I do with her corpse?