The Slow Burn

"Well, well, well…"

Forcing into place the bravado that had driven her all day, Camila buried the smile that was fighting to break free whilst crossing her slender arms over her chest and glowering in Shawns direction.

Leaning over the tiny white sink, Shawn turned on the tap and stubbornly refused to meet the brunettes gaze. Cupping the cool water in his hands he allowed his eyelids to drop shut and then splashed the water over his face.

Camila had been toying with him all day- he was painfully aware of that- but what made it worse was the knowledge that every time she had provoked him, he had reacted and each time he had shown her a little bit more of his heart- the one thing that he knew he had to keep from her at all costs.

Shawn knew that ignoring Camila would only succeed in angering her further but he was nowhere near ready to admit the real reason that he was stood here in the mens room with his ex-girlfriend rather than sitting upstairs with his friends enjoying the steak that had arrived at the table just about the same time that he had vacated it.

"Want to explain to me what the hell that was all about?" Camilas tinged her voice with more anger than she actually felt.

Reaching for a paper towel, Shawn dried his face before straightening up and allowing his gaze to finally meet Camilas

"Want to explain why you just can't seem to leave me alone today?" His voice was almost mocking her as he scrunched up the towel and threw it into the bin.

Camilas face contorted into a look of disbelief

"You're the one who followed me down here and then treated me to your little 'I Am Man' show, which, by the way was completely out of line seeing as how you don't have the right to be jealous of me talking to other guys anymore"

Camilas cheeks flushed as she read Shawn the riot act and she nibbled on her lower lip as she awaited his response. The new unpredictability in his character left her slightly nervous and although her bravado was holding up well it was fragile, she knew that it wouldn't take much for it to slip and leave her naked before him.

Shawn didn't respond at all for a long time, he just stared at her with a darkness in his eyes that almost made her want to cover up.

Taking a few steps towards her, he wiped his still damp hands down the front of his black jeans. Standing as tall as he could he stuffed his hands into his pockets and stared her down. He hoped that his close proximity would cause her to feel so uncomfortable that she would forget about the confrontation that she obviously had planned for them but Camilas bravado continued to hold up well under the weight of his gaze and she never once broke eye contact.

She knew what she wanted from tonight, she had wanted the same thing when she had confronted him at the gym that morning. She wanted a blazing row- the likes of which she and Shawn had never had. She wanted him to scream at her, she wanted him to beg for the truth that she so wanted to give him. She wanted him to throw his truth at her and free her from the doubts and confusion that Hailey had burdened her with. She wanted them to free themselves in a blaze of fury that she had no doubt would eventually burn out and leave them scarred but cleansed.

Now all she had to do was convince Shawn to participate.

"You can start explaining at anytime"

Shrugging slightly his gaze intensified as a smug smile lifted one side of his mouth

"You weren't interested in that guy"

Camila's eyebrows lifted as if silently asking him to elaborate