And Then Came The Silence

Lifting the receiver from the cradle Camila felt an apprehension she hadn't expected.

She knew the number better than she knew her own, she'd dialled it a million times and she knew he would be awake…he was always awake! …In fact she had often wondered if he ever actually slept at all.

Her fingertips traced the number whilst never actually building up the courage to push the buttons.

'Do or die Mila, Do or die!'

The words pounded against her ears but her heart was still firmly lodged in her throat. She knew she should have done this months ago, long before she'd convinced herself that her voice would be the last he would ever want to hear.

In the short period since coming to her decision Camila had covered all the likely possibilities.

1/ he might hang up immediately, never uttering a single word to her- she doubted it, it just didn't seem like his style but she had to accept that it was definitely a possibility.

2/ Maybe he would speak but with a coldness and distance that she couldn't bare for there to be between them- again, it was possible.

'Enough! This is totally ridiculous! He's a great guy, he'll understand!'

These conversations with herself were becoming more and more common, she hadn't had time yet to decide whether to be concerned or not.

'Okay, I'm just going to take a deep breath and then I will call the man!'

'One… Deep breath, Two… Deeper Breath three... God, I think I'm going to hyperventilate!!! '

Camila had gone over this conversation a hundred times in her head, she had planned out exactly what she would say and how he would respond, and how she would apologize and he would accept it immediately, but now the moment was upon her and the phone was actually ringing, that  words that stuttered past her lips were the only one's that felt right

"Niall…Hi!"

…And then came the silence.