The Damage We Do

"Hi Shawn"

Haileys face broke into a smile that she could not control as Shawn crossed the gravel in her direction, her best friend Kendal had once named it 'The Shawn Mendes Effect' and Hailey hadn't been able to argue with her because that was indeed the effect being near Shawn Mendes had on her.

Shawn, on the other hand barely managed a half-smile and realising that he had no intention of closing the final few yards between them Hailey stepped forward. Placing a soft kiss on his sweat soaked cheek She immediately felt his body tense beneath her touch.

Oh Shawn, what's going on?

"Didn't you see me?" Hailey had been at the track for nearly half an hour before Shawn had killed the engine and made his way towards her. "I've been here for a while now"

Shawn simply shrugged. There had been a sadness in his dark eyes recently that was new, Hailey recognised it but steadfastly refused to acknowledge it. So she turned a blind eye, as she did with so many things about Shawn these days. He was hers now and she had no intention of asking questions that she may not like the answers to.

"Are we meeting the others for dinner?" he asked without ever making eye contact

'Wow- 30 seconds and he's already looking for reinforcements, that must be a record'

"I uh… I thought maybe we could do something together tonight" her lack of confidence in their relationship showing in her voice.

"What did you have in mind?" Shawn didn't sound enthusiastic about the idea at all, but he didn't sound appalled so Hailey decided to take that as progress.

"A picnic in the park?"

Shawn's whole body went cold, as a million memories flooded his brain. A million memories, all including a girl who was the complete opposite of the one standing in front of him. Petite…brunette…feisty! It was too much for him to think about today, he was already exhausted. His sleep pattern over the last few weeks had been fit-full at best.

"Actually, I think I'm just going to crash tonight Hailey, it's been a really long day"

"But Shawn, it's such a beautiful night, and the sun is starting to set… it'll be fun, I promise I will make it fun" Hailey dragged out the final word in an attempt to convince him she was offering way more than just food and drink whilst trying her hardest not to sound desperate to spend time with him. She hoped she had succeeded but knew that she had failed.

"Maybe another time, okay? I'm going to head home- I'll call you tomorrow"

In his heart he wasn't sure that he would, he didn't know if he would have the energy tomorrow to deal with what he was running away from tonight.

Without another word, and no risk of a goodbye kiss he started to cross the gravel towards his car.

"Shawn… what's going on?"

As soon as the words had passed her lips she regretted them. She wasn't ready for the truth… she wasn't ready for this to be over!

Haileys feelings for Shawn had deepened far quicker that she had intended them to, and although she knew the depth of his feelings didn't match her own, she was sure that given time she could make him love her the way he had loved… Well, more than he had loved anyone before.