The Jealous Ex Boyfriend Rule

*FLASHBACK*
To when Camila and Niall returned to Miami

Shawn Mendes sat alone amongst the abandoned chairs.

Less than an hour ago the racetrack had been crowded with spectators, all watching as the former teen heart throb had won his first trophy, the one that now sat on his knee, shining up at him victoriously.

He should be out celebrating, but instead he found himself unable to move from the plastic seat that had become his 'winners throne'. His hand unconsciously stroking the trophy as he gazed absent mindedly down at the track.

Shawn had been so excited to compete today seeing it as a way of dispelling the 'has-been' label he felt was hanging around his neck, but now he had, it was over and he had won, he had proven all the doubters wrong but there was no warm post-victory glow and there was no triumphant song playing in his heart. There was just confusion…and regret.

The events of the previous few days kept replaying in Shawns head, he had tried to make sense of it all and his feelings towards it… tried and failed!

The sudden reappearance of his ex-girlfriend and his 'best friend' Niall had rocked Shawn to the core. He hadn't even known that they were back in town, let alone that they were back in town 'together'.

He closed his eyes as the sense of betrayal swept over him again.

'Camila and Niall???'

Part of Shawn still couldn't believe it.

He had known a long time ago that Niall had feelings for Camila, because not long after he they had become close they had discussed the subject over a few beers and a football game. Shawn had confided in his new friend about his growing attraction to the petite brunette, Niall had nodded knowingly and a sadness had filled his sparkling blue eyes as he admitted to his own attraction and to the knowledge that Camila had never once looked at him the way he saw her look at Shawn.

The two had shaken hands on the fact that they would never let a girl come between them… not even Mila!

Shawns heart burned as he replayed their conversation and slowly and sickenly accepted that Niall had indeed severed their friendship for a girl but not just any girl… his girl!

His eyes stung with tears and his heart banged against his chest as the terrible realisation hit him- maybe he had never really known Camila or Niall at all, maybe there had always been something between them, maybe Shawn had just been so wrapped up in his own feelings for Camila that he had completely missed what was going on right before his eyes.

…It couldn't be true!

The bond he shared with Camila was like no other, it was special; he'd always believed that, no matter what they'd been through both professionally and personally their bond had been unbreakable. Even after she ended their romance he had still kept his most private moments solely for her and their precious memories.

They couldn't all be lies!

He couldn't have been such an idiot!

…He couldn't be sure anymore!

"Awesome job man!" Nialls voice was filled with excitement as he almost skipped over the track to where his friend sat.