The Path To Disaster

Brian Craigen tapped nervously on the table he and Kendell were occupying at 'Beppes',-An Italian restaurant the friends had eaten at frequently over the years.

Nerves were making him feel hyperactive and a glance into Justins world did not suit him one bit, unfortunately his fingers and feet steadfastly refused to stay still as they continued to pump out a rhythm-less beat.

"Brian please..." Kendells face was the very picture of a woman hurtling towards the edge of losing her patience and on seeing it Brians features lifted into an apologetic smile as he ran a hand over his newly cropped hair.

"What's wrong with you?" Kendell asked as she placed a sympathetic hand on the shoulder of his grey t-shirt .

"Is it really terrible of me to feel this nervous about my best friends having dinner together?"

Rubbing his shoulder gently, the girl let out a small laugh

"I'd say under the circumstances it's completely understandable"

Brian considered every member of their dinner party to be as close to him as family. Sure, they'd shared some experiences that had pushed them to the brink of what they thought they were capable of, but it had always been their friendship that had seen them through.

Recently though, Brian had felt the cracks opening.

Chewing nervously on his thumbnail, he gazed at the entrance way and a feeling of deja-vu swept over him

"I wish they would just get here so we can get this over and done with"

Kendell again reached out a slender hand in his direction and the chunky silver bangles she wore jingled as she did so. Pulling his hand from his mouth she said softly,

"Brian, this is about your birthday-okay? They aren't going to ruin it for you" Smiling vibrantly Kendell continued, "After tomorrow they can tear each other apart if it makes them feel better but until then they'd better all be on their best behaviour or else they'll have me to deal with"

"Hey guys!" Camila and Niall smiled brightly as they entered the restaurant and made their way over to the table.

Niall was dressed to kill in a crisp, white dress shirt, black jeans and a perfectly tailored black blazer.

"Camila you look amazing" said Brian whilst hugging her. The metallic black dress she wore had a halter neck and was cut low between the valley of her breasts, as was her signature style and the way it was cut higher on one side than it was on the other highlighted the toned legs of a dancer. Camila had definitely dressed to impressed, but impress who?

As they all took their seats Camila and Kendall attempted a greeting but the awkwardness from yesterday was evident. Brian was just about to ask questions when a familiar voice broke through the quiet Italian atmosphere of the loft restaurant

"Dude, I didn't take them I swear!"

"Italy, meet Justin" Brian shook his head and laughed as he hi-5'd with his life long friend

"Was I loud?" Justin asked as he dropped into his seat and began rolling up the sleeves of his pale blue shirt with black pin stripes.