Chapter 41

Did they really think he wouldn't know why those two were here? He knew that while he was during a meeting with the rest of the royals, these two were gathering information about your whereabouts. Not just your whereabouts, your grave. They really thought you were dead.

If they expected his servants to know, they were very wrong. He made sure that those he served would not stick their noses where it didn't belong. If they knew about you, they knew not to talk to them about it.

But it has been a week now since you were retrieved from the dungeons. Your recovery would take time despite how fast you were recovering. Besides, your broken leg would take longer to heal. He couldn't say the same thing for that guard, he probably would not be the same man. But he did warn him.

But  they found no grave and the two of them looked devastated. They were trying to figure out where your remains were left.

Currently, the royals were having a meal and although the war issues had already been discussed some of them looked as if there was something else they wished to speak about.

Taking his glass filled with his favorite drink, he leaned back on his seat as his eyes scanned all of them. King Caius locked eyes with him, probably already figured it out. King Ravus would send a glare to Noctis, he had no shame and would do it openly. King Nostis would ignore him, and so on. Then there was King Rufus, he glared down at his meal.

"Is there something you wish to speak about King Rufus?" King Mateus asked, King Rufus snapping his gaze to him.

Pushing the plate away from him, King Rufus nodded. "There is an agreement King Mateus, did her execution take place."

The King would be lying if he did not admit that he wasn't waiting for this moment. "I know about the agreement. However, you must take into consideration that she attacked me. That is not included in that agreement, not to mention that her actions could have created conflicts with our Kingdoms. She offered her life in exchange for her actions to be forgiven."

"She's alive?" King Rufus looked surprised and even shocked. No surprise there, he probably expected him to execute here right away. "She gave her life, we both know what that entails." There was a certain snap in his voice.

"Many things," he replied, all the while the others observed with either interest. "Her life is in my hands,  and I can do as I please with it."

"You can twist it however you want to, but A First Class Soldier cannot be kept not even as a prisoner." Noctis interjected and he visibly winced.

"That agreement was created between my father and your father," he directed his attention back to King Rufus, "and he is dead." He placed the glass back on the table. 

Then before anyone else could reply, there was some clapping. King Caius laughed as his eyes landed on King Mateus. "I must applaud you,your plan worked. Though I wonder what you did to make her lose her compotsure. From what I gather, she is rather cool headed."

Plan, Rufus should have known. You didn't lose your temper that easily, but part of all of this was his fault. It didn't matter how much experience you had, you had no knowledge of politics. He should have taught you how to behave in situations like this, just like the rest of First Class Soldier. "What do you plan to do with her then? I know I am in no position to start a war with you simply for a soldier." King Rufus stood up this time not bothering to conceal his glare. "Do really think that she will simply follow your orders? Be loyal to you?"  Normally King Rufus kept himself composed, but being in the same room as King Mateus was suffocating. He disliked that man to the core. "The moment you accepted her proposal and now that you refuse to  respect the agreement our fathers had, she is no longer part of my Kingdom. "